Eye Issue PICTURES in thread!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Morgan7782, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    My Dark Brahma has an eye problem. It's like she got pecked in the eye, or dirt in her eye. The third eyelid keeps shutting, and it is watery. not goopy, there is no goop coming from her eye, or nose. There has been no sneezing, or any other sign of illness. Eating fine, drinking fine. But her eye looks irritated. Here are some pictures. Should I worry or assume she got dirt in it or pecked in the eye by another chicken? Sorry for quality of pictures, she kept moving away from me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any advice or opinions would be great!

Edited to add:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Dark Brahma, 5-6 months old, unsure of weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She is acting normal, preening, sunbathing, walking around, eating, drinking.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    About 1-2 hours

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I can only think she got in a tussle with another chicken and got pecked in the eye, or got dirt in her eye when dust bathing.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Water, grower/finisher, scratch

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Totally normal

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Nothing

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I intend to treat myself, however is needed.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    Yes, above.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    2.5 x 6 foot coop, bedding is pine shavings, free range all day.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    to anybody who has seen an infected eye, does this eye look infected? Or just like it was scratched? thanks

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I just checked on Monica this morning and her eye was totally back to normal. Whew! I was really worried because I have never dealt with a chicken medical issue before, so I was trying to figure out what I could do to help her.

She couldn't see out of that eye yesterday, and kept running into stuff and was VERY tired from just using one eye. I went this morning and let Phoebe and Butternut (my wyandottes who share the coop with Monica), out and closed the door keeping Monica IN for a second. I looked in and looked over her eye, and it was open and working normally. She must have got pecked or got dirt in it somehow, but all is well now.

If anybody has an eye issue look at my pictures, that eye is not infected so if your chickens eye ever looks like that it is probably scratched or something.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad it turned out so well... glad we could help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by