Eye Issue. Seeking Advice ASAP. Picture Attached

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmerJackie, Jun 24, 2016.

1. FarmerJackie

FarmerJackie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2016
    Norco, California
    We noticed my young Swedish Flower Hen has this lump in her eye. First visible yesterday but rapidly progressed to this today. Other eye does not have it. The other babies do not appear to have it.

Seeking recommendations for how to treat ASAP

[​IMG]

2. BunnynChicks

BunnynChicks Duck Lover

May 18, 2016
    Does it look like she can still see out of her eye?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She has conjunctivitis in her eye, and it can be due to a peck wound, eye infection, or a respiratory diseases called mycoplasma (MG.) Does she (or any other chicken) have any sneezing, nasal drainage, gasping, or noisy breathing? Look inside the eye for any foreign body or dirt. Clean it with some saline or water, and apply some Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day to the eye. Let us know what happens.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. FarmerJackie

Jun 15, 2016
    Norco, California
    Rosie, the Swedish Hen, is quarantined with the other two babies.
    I have noticed a little loose stools with only her. Rosie is bigger than the other babies (she is few weeks older). My baby Light Brahma hides under her acting like Rosie is her mommy. Needless to say the light Brahma gets the loose stools on her.

The other two look fine
    The other two have normal bowel movements.

I ordered the Termycin for the eye
    And an oral antibiotic that I'm putting in their water.
    So far no respiratory issues. Have not seen runny beak, no coughing, no audible lung issues.

All three are kept completely removed from my flock on the other side of my property.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  5. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Looks like MG to me.

Treatment would be-

Giving shots of Tylan 50 in the breast (The marvelous Eggcessive will tell you how much and for how long) and get Terramycin gel to put directly on the eye which will kill the infection.

There is a huge likelihood that she will loose her eye, but hopefully she will live. I had a hen who had this exact problem at the exact age. I treated her as said above (I don't remember how much Tylan 50 I used, how often, or how long because it was a few years back) and she lost her eye (It came out with the infection lump) but she lived! She's a happy healthy chicken now!

Good luck!

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully the oral antibiotic will help, but she really needs to drink well. Are you using oxytetracycline or Tylan? Those are both good for respiratory diseases. Conjunctivitis and eye foam can also be caused by seeds or dirt particles in the eye. There was also a case that I can across where there was a growth or cyst on the pink tissue or conjunctiva in the eye. Let us know how she does.

7. FarmerJackie

Jun 15, 2016
    Norco, California
    I ordered Duramycin 10. Followed another post for mix amount of 3/4 teaspoon per quart. Will change water once every 24 hours. All three are drinking from it.

The Teramycin eye drop I put on her eyes. Not sure how often I should. I'm thinking two times per day but if anyone knows better then please let me know.

I still have seen no signs of respiratory issues in any of the babies.

If another medication is suggested then I'll order it too.

(Btw ordered both via Amazon Prime Next Day Shipping.)

8. FarmerJackie

Jun 15, 2016
    Norco, California
    Yes it does appear she still can see out of the eye.

9. FarmerJackie

Jun 15, 2016
    Norco, California
    I am hoping that this is only pink eye. It may be wishful thinking on my part but I think she scratched her eye or got the "fluff" or feed into her eye from her baby box I keep them in.

As stated in above replies, I am treating with oral and eye antibiotics.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Someone had a hen with this huge swollen, stinky, and pus-filled eye, and everyone thought that it was infectious coryza. After antibiotics it was still there. He eventually posted that he cleaned out the glob of pus,and found some sort of irritating weed seed in there. That is why other symptoms are always important to list. There have also been a few tumors of the face and eyes that have been diagnosed as respiratory diseases. Let us know how she gets along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by