Eye lice

I found eye lice on my pullet. It looks like she has it pretty bad. I have permethrin dust. I'm going to check all the other birds and clean out the coop. How should I put on the dust without getting it in her eyes?
Firstly, are you sure the lice are living in her eye?
You may find on careful inspection that they are living in her ear and just moving to her eye as they wander about.
You can't put the dust near her eye as you realise. Can you get permethrin liquid instead? This would seem the easiest solution.
Failing that, you can make a paste/liquid with the dust and ver carefully paint the paste on the feathers surrounding her eye. I've done this with a mite dust with good effect in the past but it does take a few applications to get all the lice.
A further option is to use Ivermectin drops if you can get them. Ivermectin does still work on lice and mites in most cases I believe.

Firstly, are you sure the lice are living in her eye?
You may find on careful inspection that they are living in her ear and just moving to her eye as they wander about.
You can't put the dust near her eye as you realise. Can you get permethrin liquid instead? This would seem the easiest solution.
Failing that, you can make a paste/liquid with the dust and ver carefully paint the paste on the feathers surrounding her eye. I've done this with a mite dust with good effect in the past but it does take a few applications to get all the lice.
A further option is to use Ivermectin drops if you can get them. Ivermectin does still work on lice and mites in most cases I believe.
Thank you, I'll try a paste.
I saw tiny white bugs all over her face. I'll try to get pictures soon. Some bugs were touching the eye and others were just running all over her face in and out of the feathers.

@Shadrach @Wyorp Rock
I checked her again. The lice aren't on her face anymore, their crawling on the back of her head in all her feathers. I don't see nits, but I can barely see the bugs.

Attachments

• 20211011_103115.jpg
    20211011_103115.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211011_103143.jpg
    20211011_103143.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 11

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 4
  • PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3
  • .5GalSprayer.jpg
    .5GalSprayer.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3
  • GallonSprayer.jpeg
    GallonSprayer.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 5
@Shadrach @Wyorp Rock
I checked her again. The lice aren't on her face anymore, their crawling on the back of her head in all her feathers. I don't see nits, but I can barely see the bugs.
I would use permethrin spray on her, you can always put some on a cotton ball or qtip and carefully swab it around/on her face and then use one of those to target the back of her head as well. Make sure your getting it worked in.

Personally, I prefer dusting birds since I can work the dust into the feathers better, I do put it on there head and neck too, but I put the dust in a sock so I can control the dust a little better.

Back
Top Bottom