Eye looks pretty bad

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
Hello,

My chickens eye look wet, teary, irritated, and smaller than the other eye. I noticed it yesterday. The other eye looks fine. sorry for the low quality pictures. The first one is the bad eye. It is really hard to see, but hopefully someone knows what I am talking about.she seems to also be dripping from her nose a little bit as well.

The Rooster has a gurgle and he, and all the flock just finished antibiotics, just in case it spreads. He has not gotten better, but he had no physical symptoms, like this. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_192131.jpg
    IMG_20210620_192131.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210620_192139.jpg
    IMG_20210620_192139.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 4
I can’t tell from the pictures, sorry.
In the mean time, did you wash it out with saline? Non medicated saline eye drops work great to remove anything that may be in his eye and irritating it.

Ok, it looks like there is an infection around the eye. Can vet rx be applied to the area?

It looks a little swollen and pale around the eye. I put some antibiotic on around her eye.

Last edited:
Normally infection or swelling around the eyes or sinus cavities can be the causes of a respiratory infection such as Infectious Coryza or Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG). Good news is that it’s treatable as it’s a bacteria. Bad news is that your birds that have it or have been exposed, will carry the infection for life and spread it to any new chickens. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom