1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EYE NEED HELP!!! - My first backyard flock.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FattyMcChicken, Oct 11, 2012.

1. FattyMcChicken

FattyMcChicken New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    I have a beautiful Barred Rock Hen that seems to have a swollen eye. She was fine when I transported her to her new home 2 days ago (with 5 others hens) but this morning is when i noticed it. I am not sure if she just got something in her eye, some sort of other injury or is ill. Being new I maybe too concerned over nothing, but as I said I am new.

[​IMG]

As I said I am new and I am looking to ease the poor girls discomfort.

Thanks

2. HbbyFrmGrl

HbbyFrmGrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2012
    Tennessee
    I love Barred Rocks, they are one of my favorite breeds! The picture is a bit fuzzy so it is hard to tell what is causing her eye discomfort. Are there any other wounds that you can see? She may have something in it or injured it in the last few days. Saddly other than some eye ointment there is not much you can do for an eye injury.

3. FattyMcChicken

FattyMcChicken New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    She has no other injury. Someone told me that they thought it may be infectious sinusitis.

4. sunflowerfarms

sunflowerfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2012
    I don't know :/ It almost looks bloody a bit. She is beautiful though and looks like my baby :)

5. FattyMcChicken

FattyMcChicken New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    I believe that infectious sinusitis is the culprit. I unfortunately will have to treat the entire flock because it is contagious and even though they haven't shown any sign it is better safe than sorry. Antibiotics for 3 days and everything should be as right as rain. She should be showing improvement within 48 hours (allegedly).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by