Eye oozing thick puss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sagealbright, Feb 22, 2015.

1. sagealbright

sagealbright Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    we had a chicken die a few weeks ago from what we thought was Canker.

Then a few days ago our Welsummer began acting like her eyes were stuck shut. She was acting fine other than that and assumed her eye issues were caused by the cold temperatures. Then this morning when I went out her one eye looked like it was open but all I could see was thick yellow puss where her eye should be. I couldn't really wipe it off. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

She's acting fine other than that, besides the fact that she can't see. Her other eye doesn't have any puss but is only half open.

2. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
  3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Chicken puss is a hard, cheese-like substance. I would definitely recommend getting that out of here before it damages her eye.

I would separate this bird IMMEDIATELY from your flock and put her some place dim, warm, and quiet. If this is contagious, we want to minimize impact, if at all possible.

Does she have any nasal discharge or just the puss-eye? Has she been scratching at it? Have you noticed any wheezing, sneezing, or lethargy? How are her poops? Is there any evidence of an injury, bug bite, or peck wound?

Does her eye/head area smell like something died?

I am curious, since you had a bird die previously without a diagnosis... What symptoms did your other chicken have? I know you mentioned you believe it was Canker... I'm curious what led you to that conclusion.

Also, please, please try to post a picture. [​IMG]

MrsB

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  4. sagealbright

sagealbright Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    Sorry I have not been able to get on my computer for a few days. Today when I went to let everyone out of the run to free range she had both her eyes closed. After about an hour I went back out to check on her and she had both of her eyes open and there was no puss. However, it seems like she is blind in one eye and keeps running into things. For the past few days it has been on and off with the puss. One day it's there, the next her eye looks fine but she won't open it. It's very bizarre...

Bocktobery - It looks kind of like that but she does not have any swelling. It literally looked like her eyeball just turned into a ball of puss.

MrsBrooke - I wasn't sure if I should try to remove it but if it comes back I definitely will. She has no other symptoms. No runny nose, no sneezing. Just the puss in her eye. It doesn't appear that either eye is scratched and I couldn't see any type of debris in either eye. Her poop is normal. She's been sleeping in a small nest box I put on the floor in the coop since she could not see at all for a few days. My bird that recently died had what looked like corn on the roof of her mouth. She also suffered from IB for a few months and was separated until she got better. Then after a few weeks of being back in with the flock I discovered her laying in the coop not moving. I found this spot of what looked like food in her mouth that day and she died a few hours later. It was very sudden.

This is a picture of what was in the roof of my Barnevelder's mouth that recently passed. If the puss comes back in my Welsummer's eye I will take a picture and post that as well.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by