Eye pecked out, how do I treat it? Help ...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by willowbrook1, Dec 23, 2010.

1. willowbrook1

willowbrook1 New Egg

Jul 28, 2009
    Came down to coop last night to find little Bantam hen with eye pecked out and lots of dried blood on side of her face. Other than that she is fine, if you can be fine with your eye pecked out...... So I have separated her and and her little buddie from the regular sized hens. Question is what should I wash it out with and then what should I use to treat it now? Would it have to be stitched shut or can I just let her be if we keep it clean?

Thanks to all who post on this site. You are a wealth of knowledge!

2. willowbrook1

willowbrook1 New Egg

Jul 28, 2009
    Found a great answer from August 2009 by putting in "eye pecked" as a query in the Search box above. Took me to a list of messages dealing specifically with this issue. On way to Dells Feed supply to see if they have the peniccillin G procaine in their refrigerator. Lets see how i feel about giving a shot ... guess I'm gonna like it if I want to help my chicken.

Any more advice is welcome as I'm a bit worried how chicken can live with a hole in it's head.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Nothing to giving your bird a shot. Find the keel bone and fall off on either side to the thickest part of the breast-aspirate the needle back to make sure your haven't hit a vein(very unlikely in that area) and inject. Voila-shot given!
    Good luck with your bird. [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How is she doing tonight?

5. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I hope she's doing well. Chin up! I've heard a ton of stories about one-eye roos. Perhaps her buddy will be her seeing-eye chicken, and help her along.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by