eye pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mandomama, Apr 13, 2008.

1. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    I recently had a situation with a week old chick that seemed demented. It was a recent adoptee. I brough it home with a litter mate. Normal kind of checking out pecking was happening, no big deal. Then this one started obessing on the rest of the chicks eyes. Its hatch buddy was about the same size and it actually pinned her down and was seriously attacking her eye! It even drew blood! I seperated it to try and distract it away from the obsession. I put one of my 2 week old chicks in with it so it wouldnt be lonely and it seriously stalked this bigger chick to get to its eye. We had a regular light bulb for my first chicks so I changed it out to a bug light, thinking that was stressing it. What happened? Everyone else was getting along fine. This was really out of the ordinary. I dont want this to happen again.

2. mandomama

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    Anyone? Please?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've had hundreds of chicks and haven't had that problem yet. I think you just may have had a challenged chick there. Best of luck.

4. mandomama

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    Challanged chick had to go. [​IMG]

I just hope it wasnt anything I did. It was just demented I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by