Eye Pecking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JerseyHen, Apr 15, 2011.

1. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Just got 20 new babies today and a few have a bad eye pecking habit. I know it is the shiny object/bug hunting instinct, but are there ways to stop it? I have a red light and big brooder with a roost and such for them to keep busy with. Our first group didn't do this at all. They are even going for the week olds. Thoughts?

2. simplybusy

simplybusy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    I'm sure someone else can probably offer better advice, as I'm VERY new to this chicken Mama business. [​IMG] (Mine are about 12 days old). I did have one chick that was constantly obsessing over the other 3 chick's eyes. It seemed almost as if on purpose. I'm not sure what stopped the behavior but now she/he is not so interested in the eyes, although that's the chick with the kamakazzi (sp?) personality and is the first to go running to the edge of the brooder when I pull the hardware cloth off the top. LOL. Over the last week, I did move them into a large 100gal stock tank that stands about 30 inches high (and is covered with hardware cloth). We also have always had a red brooder bulb over them. I kinda thought that giving them more space and just the fact that they're growing was the thing that pursuaded him/her to not go for the eyes... but honestly I have no idea. If you have lots of space for them and a roost and stuff for them to "do", then I'm not sure what the problem is. Like I said - I'm new to this too!

Hope someone else can jump on here and offer some good old fashioned experienced advice. [​IMG]

3. JerseyHen

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    For now, I made a chick jail out of some hardware wire so that she can be under the light and still interact with the others. I did this after she grabbed one of my faverolles by the eyelid and drug it around a bit. I think maybe a couple of days to figure out that it is an eye and not a bug, might help. Until then I don't want to risk anyone's vision. My brooder is just over 15 sq. feet. Plenty of room (at least for now).

4. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Try placing something else shiny in the brooder, a little distraction instead of someones eye xD

5. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Quote:Or a mirror maybe?

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    One of my bantams did that for about a week. I did a little daily time out and he or she eventually gave up on it. Funny thing was it was a bantam, the smallest of the 8 I got! The bantams were about 5 days younger than my eleven full size chicks, I was at my wits end (new at this so it really bothered me - as yours did it grabbed some by eyelids and drug them around). I even put it in with the bigger chicks and it had to jump to get to their eyes, so to time out (or jail) little one went. It got better for me, hope it does for u too. Now this one is still small but as friendly as the others.

7. saramontour

saramontour Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    So glad I could come across this thread today! We just picked up some 1-day-old Buckeyes today and one of them is super feisty and going straight for any eyeball it sees. haha. Even the bigger, week-old Black Copper Marans we have! Hopefully she gets it out of her system soon.

8. JerseyHen

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Mine was going after the weekolds too. I appreciate her gumption though, but I can't let her injure the others. I just let her out of jail this morning and she promptly went and snuggled in with the rest of the flock. I wll be watching her today though. The little area I cordoned off is working really well for the weeeeee little tiny ones I have when I need to give them a break from being run over. I think I am going to leave it in. I made a roundish little corral in the corner (full width of 1/4 inch hardware wire, about 8 inches high, duct taped the long edges to keep everyone (including myself) from getting poked, and zip tied it to the hardware cloth walls in the corner. This is also keeping them from piling in that corner and the bigger girls like to roost on top of the "wall", the bigger girls often nip in for a little visit with her and then she pokes them and they flutter out. I think that might help her to learn that what she is doing isn't nice, maybe? wishful thinking perhaps. I also put a number of very peckable small stuffed animals in there (shiny buttons and dark sewing against light backrounds), a big marble, and some other "items of interest" to keep them occupied until they are out on the grass with some real work to do. Seems to be entertaining the lot of them.

9. saramontour

Apr 12, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    We just got our little Buckeyes! They're SUPER feisty and hilarious.

[​IMG]

10. saramontour

Apr 12, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    oops! Accidentally posted this one the wrong thread, sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by