Eye problem- 3 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cforrester, Oct 10, 2016.

1. cforrester

cforrester Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2014
    Late last week, my 3 week old barred rock chick's eye was suddenly swollen. No problems before and this chick is from our flock. Our one other chick and the rest of the flock are all doing great. It's only this chick and only one eye. I immediately removed it from the coop, washed the eye out real well, and then began using antibiotic eye drops we have here (leftover from when my son had pink eye). I have been treating the eye for about 4-5 days now and there is still no improvement. It has actually gotten worse. Still no other symptoms such as sneezing,discharge, etc. It's just the swollen eye. I've done the eye drops, neosporin,vetericyn rinse, and even added tetracycline to this chicks water (just in case it was a respiratory infection). Any ideas on what could be wrong with it and what I can do to help fix it? [​IMG][/IMG]

2. cforrester

May 15, 2014
    Another picture of the eye. No redness either.[​IMG]

3. teaton

teaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Could it be eye worm?

4. cforrester

May 15, 2014
    @teatonI'm not sure. I tried pulling the eyelids apart to look but it's so swollen I can't hardly pry it open to look :-( In case it is, how would I know and what can I do?

5. teaton

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Just research the crap out of it! I thought one of my hens had eye worm once and i used terymicin eye ointment and vet rx. Hers cleared up whatever it was but it also wasnt that bad. I do remember seeing some like yours when i was web searching though, it could be a start. I hope she gets better!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  6. cforrester

May 15, 2014
    @teaton Thank you! I'll look it up. I have some Vet Rx but it says not to use near the eyes.

7. teaton

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    No do not put that in the eyes, put it in the mouth

8. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I would say its coryza.Good luck

9. cforrester

May 15, 2014
    @teaton Yes, thanks, I looked it up after you mentioned it and saw how to use it. @MasterOfClucker I hope not. So far it doesn't seem to have any of the other symptoms, nor any new birds that could have brought it in. But I will keep watching this little one and check on the others to be sure no other symptoms present. Thanks!

10. cforrester

May 15, 2014
    Update....still treating this poor little chick and the eye is getting worse instead of better :-( Good news,there is no odor or anything and the chick is eating and drinking well and definitely has the spunk to put up a fight when I'm treating the eye. Bad news,still no clue what is going on with the eye. I'm posting a picture showing the eye right after this first began and how it has progressed. It's been almost 2 weeks. Any ideas what this may be? Is it maybe fowl pox? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by