Eye problem--avian pox???

Texas Mamma Hen

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
My flock is on the downside of the dry fowl pox, but one of my brabanter hens has
[/IMG][/IMG] something going on with her eye. I am also concerned about her nostril area. Here are some pictures. Any advice?

It looks like mainly fowl pox to me. The cloudiness/discharge/bubbles from the eye (if this is what you're talking about-- I may not be seeing it correctly) could be caused by a respiratory disease. Fowl pox can cause birds to be susceptible to secondary infections of other diseases, because it stresses them out. It may be a good idea to start her on some antibiotics, like Terramycin or Duramycin.

I think you are seeing some of the secondary infections of fowl pox. I agree with starting antibiotics, and would add Tylan to to suggested list. With the nose involvement there may be some wet pox. Look inside her beak and throat for any cheesey yellow patches that coat the tongue or are blocking the airway. Put some Neosporin ointment into the eyes daily after cleaning them with some saline.

Back
Top Bottom