Eye Problem. Help appreciated. [New picture]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tytytytyler, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Tytytytyler

Tytytytyler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    So today when I went to let my chickens out, I noticed one of my hen, Nugget's, eyes looked funny. She seems to have a scratch near the corner and a little above her eye, which makes me think she might have gotten pecked? But then she has a sty looking thing coming out of the top left corner of her eye. Her other eye is perfectly fine. She is keeping the affected one open while she's roaming around with no behavior change at all, except when I pick her up she'll close it, and leave the other open, I guess because she knows she doesn't need to use it with me holding her.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't want her to be miserable, and I don't want it to get worse.

Pictures -

Open eye [sty looking thing in the top left of her eye.]
    [​IMG]

Closing her eye.
    [​IMG]

Closed eye.
    [​IMG]

It also looked a bit watery at one point, but then it didn't. So I'm not entirely sure if it was. It wasn't leaking anything but water if it was though.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't know what it is. If a vet is not an option, you could try some ophthalmic antibiotic ointment for a few days. Chickens do get stys, I know.

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    My hen had one of those awhile back. She turned out just fine! She'll be okay Promase [​IMG]

4. Tytytytyler

Apr 26, 2009
    I just went out to check on her during the night while I could look at her without her walking around, her eye is actually swollen shut now. [​IMG]

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    It seems like one of those chicken diseases could start out with a swollen eye like that, hardly noticeable at first. Anyway, keep an eye on it.

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    That looks like the beginnings of an upper respiratory infection--yes, I know it's the eye, but that sometimes is how they start. I would get her on antibiotics(Tylan or Oxytetracycline) injectable and also treat the eye with eye ointment(trying to think of the name)--in a small tube at tractor supply or most feed stores. Lastly, separate her--this will spread if not!!! Good luck!!!

7. Tytytytyler

Apr 26, 2009
    Now she's keeping that eye closed while roaming around and only opening it when she feels like she needs to.

I've never had an ill chicken before, all of mine have died from predators and old age so I know nothing about chicken medication or anything, so every bit of help would be appreciated.

8. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    If she'll let you, hold a wet warm cloth to her eye. If it is an eye infection that might ease the swelling and make it feel better. If it's a stye, warm compresses would help it to come to a head faster. don't know much about chickens, but that works for humans.[​IMG]

9. Tytytytyler

Apr 26, 2009
    I've noticed that her eye is itching now and she's rubbing it on her side frequently. I haven't gotten the chance to pick her up today.

I think she's gone blind in it or she's really impaired because her and another chicken ran into each other, and it was on the left side, the eye with the problem. [Edit: Actually, her eye was probably closed because she's only leaving her good one open most of today]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  10. Tytytytyler

Apr 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

She's getting scratches near her eye now from scratching at it, and that dirty spot at the bottom of her neck is where she keeps rubbing it. It's getting watery, but no leakage of any color or thickness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by