Eye Problem (pictures included)

ells

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Hi

Yesterday I noticed one of my araucanas had her right eye closed most of the time. It looks inflammed and when she does open it there is a pinky area to the front that may be her third eyelid, but doesn't seem to retract at all. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and shows no other symptoms other than not being able to see well. She is eating as usual, although finding it harder to pick up corn with eyesight from only one eye.
I put an eye drop in her eye last night, hoping it might help dislodge anything stuck in there but there is no difference this morning.
I've included some photos:

DSC05952.jpg

DSC05950.jpg

This is her good eye:
DSC05954.jpg

Anyone know what this could be? Any advice?
Thanks

Last edited:
I just posted about my chicken's eye as well, see post: "What's wrong with her eye"..I have a couple of pics...
I was told to use terramycin eye ointment in her eye to help prevent infection.

I plan on doing so...I can't see your pics, but this is a good measure to take..

Thank-you for both your replies. I don't have anywhere locally that I can get terramycin, can only order online which will take a few days to arrive. I have used an eye gel for animals that is supposed to help inflammation and irritation. She does seem to be keeping it open more than usual.

JodyJo - Your's does look like it has been pecked, whereas mine has no blood around her eye and I can't see any cuts/pecking wounds. I hope the ointment works for yours, good luck.
MEchickenfarmer33 - Having looked at Marak's disease, I don't think it is that (fingers crossed) as her iris and pupil are unchanged.

Any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

its possible that she just got poked in the eye. I had a roo that happened to, and it looked a lot like that. if she starts getting "goober-y" stuff around her eye, clean it off with a wet paper towel and maybe give her some antibiotics in her water. if shes still eating and drinking ok, and doesnt get an infection, i really wouldent worry. good luck!

I just saw your pics...doesn't look fatal...I agree, a poke to the eye...mine is already almost healed...funny how chickens will peck at anything, even dust if they think its food!

Quote:
do you have any pics? give it a day or so, wipe with a warm cloth and give some antibiotics...it should clear up
pretty quickly....I was freaked out too, but she already healed for the most part!

Back
Top Bottom