Eye problem please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchickfl, Oct 6, 2016.

1. newchickfl

newchickfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2015
    Florida
    My cream legbars eye is having problems and its just the one eye - has anyone ever seen anything like this i have been putting drops and rinsing it out but its not getting better[​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure what exactly I'm seeing in the photo - can you describe what's going on with the eye? Is it an injury?

3. newchickfl

Jan 16, 2015
    Florida
    Her eye had this black hard thing appear in the corner of her eye...i dont know of any injury it showed up two days ago and she cant open her eye all the way

4. FoodFreedomNow

I haven't personally seen an eye problem like that in my flock, but my guess is it could be an injury. The black crusty matter looks like a scab to me. What kind of eye drops are you using? If a vet visit isn't an option, you may want to try treating the eye with an ophthalmic gel, like Vetericyn.

1 person likes this.
  5. newchickfl

Jan 16, 2015
    Florida
    I was thinking it might be a scab but I didn't know for sure since I have never seen a scab on a chicken -but she is acting normal - i am using an eye wash and saline drops - I was thinking of using neosporine but since the spot is hard I didn't think it would do any good and I am just trying to keep the area clean for her.

6. FoodFreedomNow

Here's a thread about eye scabs that you may find helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/597800/should-i-remove-scab-over-hens-eye. Hope she's doing better soon.

7. newchickfl

Jan 16, 2015
    Florida
    Thank you, i am just going to keep her eye clean and leave the scab. I dont want to cause infection by removing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by