1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye problem with some chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jubahn, Dec 1, 2016.

1. jubahn

jubahn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2015
    I have some chicks with eye problem, searched but not sure if its the same of some posts, thanks

Juba

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

First off, Welcome to BYC! :woot

Oh my, those poor chicks! I've never seen anything like it....The third last picture with the white chick looks like the start of chicken conjunctives....with the eye bubbling and such...

Is there a smell?
    What food are they on?
    When did you first notice this?

This *could* be a result of injury's...how many chicks do you have in total? do they have enough space? Bored chickens tend to get over curious...i notice alot of pecking wounds on the chickens, even a wound on the eye, if wounds go untended it can get messy, either that or it could be chicken conjunctivitis...but not if there is no smell...

I would start off by buying some human conjunctivitis eye drops, put 3 drops in the infected chickens eyes day and night for 3 weeks.., see if there is improvements..I would also try wiping their eyes with a warm damp cloth, and keep each chick ISOLATED in their own pen/cage whilst this is going on...Try putting some electrolytes in their water...they might need it...

What is everyone else's thoughts on this?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Where do you live? Fowl pox, a virus from mosquitoes can cause scabs to form around the face, comb, and wattles. It is possible that pox is what you are seeing, or pecking from the other chicks. Secondary bacterial infections can be a complication. The bubbling in the eyes could be mycoplasma, or MG, and that can be a secondary infection of pox, or a respiratory disease. Have you noticed any sneezing or gasping? I would go to your local feed syore and purchase Terramycin eye ointment and apply it twice daily inside the eyes. Tylan 50 injectable is good to use for respiratory diseases.

4. jubahn

jubahn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2015
    Sorry for the late reply but got hit by zika virus and still handling some pain on my body.

I got a vaccine for "Fowl pox" and that helped a lot, I cleaned the chickens with some boiled water with salt and let it cool this helped and then I apllied Terramycin to it during some days.

They are back to normal and put them with the flock their age.

Thanks for helping me out, and sorry again for the delay.

God bless.

Julius

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by