1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiebaby6, Apr 8, 2016.

1. chickiebaby6

chickiebaby6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    I brought home a silkie chick yesterday and today her eye looks like this. It did water a bit last night. I thought it was due to a wood shaving that poked her eye. I've rinsed it with warm water but I don't want to pick at it if it will hurt her. Help?

2. chickiebaby6

Apr 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Vetericyn ointment is what I keep around for eye irritations. It helps keep it moist and clean, and is medicated, but not harsh. Most farm and feed stores should have it. Just be careful not to let it get into the nostrils.

4. Chloesmama

Chloesmama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2014
    I use the Vetericyn eye spray and have great success. Poor little one.

5. chickiebaby6

Apr 8, 2016
    Thank you.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A warm wet compress or wash cloth to soak the eye for about 10 minutes would help get the goo and crust off. Clean it all out with a QTip or tissue. Then go get the Vetericyn eye gel or some Terramycin eye ointment from the feed stor, and use twice daily. If you can't get one of those until tomorrow, then use some plain neosporin, bacitracin, or similar ointment tonight in the eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by