Eye Problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Padfoot417, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Padfoot417

Padfoot417 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Hey all
    I don't know what's going on with my poor Rosey girl, but something is up with her left eye.
    It looks like her tear duct is...well foaming.
    I didn't think of it as anything at first, until I saw it again for the second time.
    This all happened tonight, so it's not a long standing issue.
    Rosey isn't acting any different and doesn't seem to be bothered by this, but I'm still nervous.
    With it being this close to Christmas I want to make sure I can get her a treatment asap if it's needed.
    Please help me out!
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Respiratory System Problems.
    Symptoms of typical poultry respiratory problems include: Runny / watery eyes, swollen sinuses, wheezing, sneezing, gurgling / rattling, and difficulty breathing..

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum
    Most backyard flocks these days are carrying Mycoplasma. There are many different kinds of Mycoplasma but Mycoplasma Gallisepticum is the most common. It causes respiratory disease and can weaken the birds immune system sufficiently for them to pick up any disease that they come into contact with. Small bubbles in the corners of eyes and swollen sinuses are is usually the first sign of Mycoplasma. Once birds have been infected, they become carriers and remain infectious for life. Some birds seem to have a good resistance to M.G. and out of an infected flock, a few may die, others may become ill and recover and some may not show any symptoms at all. The first time they are ill seems to be the worst and subsequent outbreaks seem to be milder.
    Bringing new, perfectly healthy younger birds into an established flock of carriers is typically a problem. New birds can be Myco free but with the stress of being moved and not having much resistance to M.G. will become sick after a week or two of arriving and the established flock appears to be healthy.

Other Names: M.G, Chronic Respiratory Disease, CRD, Roup (in older poultry books), Stress Disease, Infectious Sinusitis (in Turkeys)
    Symptoms: In growers: Loss of appetite, slow growth, In Chickens & Turkeys: Ruffled feathers, fluid in eyes (small bubbles in the corners of eyes), coughing, sneezing, 'darth vader' breathing, gurgling / rattling, swollen face, strained crow in cockerels, drop in laying in hens, sometimes loss of appetite, sweet smelling breath.
    Area affected: Respiratory system (mainly) but can effect the Kidneys.
    Causes: Mycoplasma Gallisepticum Bacteria.
    Transmission: Infection from other carrier birds (from their respiritory dischages), including wild birds. Through hatching eggs. From infected dust / bedding material. Chicken and Turkeys can cross infect one another, other species have their own type of Mycoplasma that cannot cross infect . Mycoplasma is highly contagious and can be carried in on shoes, clothing and feeders / drinkers etc. Mycoplasma can survive for several hours on these things.
    Diagnosis: Contact with wild birds or other carriers (poultry shows), bringing new birds in that are carriers, stress factors (change of food, house, worming, over crowding, new birds in the flock, weather - snow covering the ground for example, shortage of food or water, ammonia from soiled bedding). Breathing difficulty, laboratory identification of bacteria in post mortem, identification by blood test.
    Prevention: Good biosecurity, minimise stress, vaccination is possible but is done via an inhaled mist and equipment to administer is expensive, keep birds immune systems strong with the right diet. Fresh crushed garlic in food or water is great for the immune system and Apple Cider Vinegar. After an infection, disinfect housing and leave for 2 weeks. Mycoplasmas cannot survive for long in the environment.
    Treatment: Antibiotics from your vet: Tylan, Baytril, or Gallimycin. Tylan 200 injected into the breast muscle is usually the most effective. Treatment needs to be early on for a greater chance of recovery.
    Risk to Human Health: None known.

3. FiFiFeather

FiFiFeather Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    North Washtenaw County
    Carpola. 2 weeks ago we got 3 new-to-us hens and a new one just came up with the bubbles around her eye this am. Reading these symptoms, a lot of their behavior is making sense & they are sick [​IMG]

So to be clear, my birds, which are very healthy and 8 months, have been exposed to this disease, but they may have had it just from being a back yard flock and I should be on the look out for signs of stress and subsequent disease. Not my favorite way to spend Christmas eve but we gotta do what we gotta do [​IMG]

Ah, well, live and learn. I'm getting more smarticles, I can just feel it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  4. FiFiFeather

Jul 21, 2011
    North Washtenaw County
    I'm culling them. Good thing it's been a mild winter here.

5. FiFiFeather

Jul 21, 2011
    North Washtenaw County
    fudgecisles! They had mites, too. I felt badly killing them, but they are older hens I've had for 3 weeks. They were in molt & the lady I got them from didn't know how old they were, their beaks were trimmed so I know they were bred to be layers in close quarters. They had gained a LOT of weight, but 2 of them really didn't eat well & were sneezy on and off. All of them shivered at all times & one of them wouldn't stop yawning. I know-possible gape worm-forgot to check her crop when we killed her).

Geez, I will ALWAYS follow the 30 day 'probationary period' from here on out! There is just too much at stake! LESSON LEARNED!

6. Padfoot417

Padfoot417 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    The problem here is that I've had Rosey for months now,and nothing like this has been a problem.
    She's never been a particularly strong bird persay,but has never been sick before.
    Granted we just started getting the really cold weather, but we had a hell of a storm in October and nothing like this happened to her.
    She's not laying eggs at the moment, she hasn't since I got her.
    She spends minimal time with the other hens, she's only ever with Pilgrim and Sonic.
    I have no clue if we even have ANY poultry vets in the general area, thus arises another problem.
    I'm 17, I can't be going 2 hours to a vet halfway across the state.
    But I love my chickens more than I love myself, and so I'm trying to help her the best I can.
    I went to Tractor Supply on Christmas Eve and got this energy/nutrition boosting electrolyte supplement.
    I've been feeding it directly to Rosey on a daily basis, .5 cc each day.
    Culling her is out of the question, I could never bring myself to affect the flock that way.
    Sonic and Pilgrim love Rosey, heck, Sonic got taken by a dog at one time to save her.
    So, I'm pretty much on a short leash to treat this poor girl.
    She's acting normal and it's only one eye that gets bubbly, and that's hardly at all now.
    I'm at a loss for what to do, aside from feeding her that supplement.
    If you have any advice I can use, please feel free to share....
    Thank you.

7. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    If in fact Rosey has the disease it is not necessary to kill her. You are not raising and selling so you are not spreading the disease. And most flocks in U.S. are carriers anyway. Even the chicks you get at hatcheries may be carriers? Hatcheries purchase eggs from various breeders to hatch and sell.

If she is appearing healthy you need not do anything but care for her like it seems you are doing. If she and the others have any other listed symptoms just purchase the Tylan 50 or Tylan 200 at a farm store. Since it is an injectable you will need syringes and 18 or 20 gauge needles 1/2 or 3/4 inches long. Purchase them there at farm store as well.

Need directions and amount post on here and we can help you. Good luck with Rosey and all the others.

8. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    It is certainly a respitory problem.

That said, bubbles in the eye is a symptom of nearly every respitory disease known. It does not mean it is CRD (though it could be).

Try the following:

1. Sulmet in the drinking water for four days.
    2. After this add 1 oz of Bleach to 1 gallon of drinking water. Do this from now on. Make sure the waterer is plastic.
    3. Next time you have any show signs of sickness medicate as follows: 1cc Liquimycin in the breast for 3 days, 1/2cc for the next four days.

9. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Quote:I had this same problem with one of my roosters. Foaming,swollen, and half shut. He had a foxtail deep in his eye. I would check to see if there is anything in there(it could be deep). Rinse it out and see if it gets better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by