1. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Hey everybody

Has anyone ever seen something like this? I have been rinsing with saline and putting Terramycin in it since last night. It has been this way awhile and I thought the hen had a defect of some sort. Other than this eye deal the hen is normal. Appetite good, stool ok etc. Maybe a foreign body? Would that continue for awhile with no change? Thanks for any help you can give me.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Could be a good start of a resp. infection as it looks like the area under her eye is a little swollen. I would give her a round of Tylan-50 and see what happens from there. If you need dosing instructions just do a search.

3. HennyPennies2007

Jan 26, 2008
    Hey nn

Thanks for the info... I'm trying to find meds around where I live... I am going to a vet tomorrow... Taking the hen in. I am fed up. When I moved to OKlahoma I thought getting vet supplies would be EASIER not harder. I moved here from CA and believe me it's easier to get stuff there. I am in a farming community for gosh sakes. Oh well. Thank you for taking the time to answer me.

4. nnbreeder

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    your local feed store will have the meds but it will be in the cattle section.

5. nnbreeder

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Another good med is either LS-50 which is a water soluble powder or Lincomycin-Spectinomycin which is the same as the LS-50. They are pricey though, about 30 dollars to treat 25 gallons of drinking water. Tractor Supply or Atwoods will have the Tylan for sure. but as I said in the cattle meds section. That big 'ol town East of you should have an Atwoods I believe but don't buy feed there, the bags are only 40lbs.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  6. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I have 2 hens that just starting looking that way today. I have never had any sick birds. Let me know what the vet tells you if you go. I really don't want something spreading like crazy through the remainder of my hens.

7. HennyPennies2007

Jan 26, 2008
    Hey guys
    Thank you so much for all the help. Turns out that she has a birth defect. The eye is 2/3 the size it should be. So no disease!! Thank God! I appreciate all the help and responses. So far so good... I thought I was going to be in deep weeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by