Eye problems- could b e mareks disease

chickenke

Hatching
Oct 13, 2015
hi,
I have a chicken who has just turned a year old. She has always had lovely eyes but when i looked tonight i noticed one pupil was a funny shape and parts of the iris around it was grey. On her other eye, the pupil is still round, bright and an average size but a tiny grey strip has appeared beneath it.
i had a quick google and all i could find was information on Mareks disease.
She is my favourite little hen, and has always been naturally skinny and little even though she eats and drinks, she has healthy shiny feathers, but I don't want to risk the health of my other 5 hens if she is ill.
Can anyone help me please?
I will try and post some pictures of it
thanks

Welcome to BYC, so sorry you are having problems with your hen.

Mareks' can indeed cause the iris to turn grey. Other signs of Mareks would include weight loss and poor coordination/inability to stand and walk. Affected birds are infected as chicks, so if it is Mareks your birds were all likely infected a long time ago. It would not likely protect your other birds to separate her. If she has issues getting around and eating, you may need to separate her to provide a safer environment.

Here is some info on Mareks - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Hopefully it is something else and she does well.

Back
Top Bottom