Eye Problems - Cures *Pix*

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Fluffy Feather Farm
12 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Texas, Panhandle
Last week I noticed my peacock scratching his head alot and then that weekend his eye was all swollen up. Monday I brought him down to the front yard and was looking him over and his eye had a layer of white foam over it and there were some red mites all around his eye. I got some vaseline and rubbed around on his head and it killed most of the mites and then I put some Silver in his eyes. He drank and ate good that day as well.

Today I inspected him and his eye is HUGE and swollen shut and you can see yellowish puss if you try to open his eye. We tryed in vain to get a damp cloth and open it. We tryed to dribble some pink eye medicine and some silver in it, but I don't know how much got in there. The other eye has yellow crusties around it, we've been putting pink eye and silver in it and we've also been making him drink a little bit of silver. This morning around 10:00 he drank some water, but wouldn't eat anything. I couldn't get him to eat/drink anything this evening either. He has been on the front porch roosting on a table all day, I moved him to a shady part in the yard and he walked around for a moment and now he is just in the same area not moving much.

Am I doing the right thing? Does anyone know else I could give him?

When next I got to town I'll be getting him some bug medicine to get rid of the bugs for good, but I don't know if he'll make it!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~ Aspen

Oh almost forgot the pictures....

This is the eye that is still open that has the crusties around it
47807_eye_problem_pix_2.jpg

This is the eye that is swollen so badly
47807_eye_problem_pix.jpg

hugs.gif
Soo sorry your pea is not doing well.
There have been a few case about eye problems in the last month so hopefully they will help ya threw this
fl.gif
caf.gif

Thanks, I looked up the thread and found a very helpful link. We're fixing to give him an injection that should help him!
fl.gif
Keep your fingers crossed for my boy!
fl.gif

~ Aspen

Is it okay to give him Dura-Pen? It's an antibiotic for cattle. We also have some Durvet injectable penicillin for cattle/sheep/horses/pigs.

Thanks

~ Aspen

The sinus in front of the right eye is all swollen up--something's going on in there. Could be a foreign body. Do you have foxtails in your area? I'm always yanking foxtails out of the chickens' eyes and the ducks' nostrils; they're incredibly invasive.

With that swelling, I'd worry about an abscess forming inside the sinus: that would create a perfect hiding place for infection, and even injections may not reach it. Abscesses have to be cleaned out and flushed, so they're a nuisance. Considering that he's got a goopy left eye as well, I'd be nervous that there might be something going on on both sides of the face. There are some infectious diseases of chickens that attack the sinuses; I don't recall if any of them can go to peafowl, but I'll throw it out there. The other possibility that comes to mind is fungal infection. Do you have a vet in your area that would take a look at the bird for you?

Quote:
We brought him inside and put him in the garage with a humidifier and a fan blowing on him. We were able to get some puss out of the swollen eye and he opened it all the way, but there was still some crud in there we couldn't get. We made him drink some water and silver and we also put silver/pinkeye and a eye ointment on his eyes. I think he is sleeping now so I hope he will be inproved in the morning!
fl.gif

No, we don't have a local vet. We do have a vet, but he doesn't live close and doesn't treat birds/some rodents.

~ Aspen

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

We brought him inside and put him in the garage with a humidifier and a fan blowing on him. We were able to get some puss out of the swollen eye and he opened it all the way, but there was still some crud in there we couldn't get. We made him drink some water and silver and we also put silver/pinkeye and a eye ointment on his eyes. I think he is sleeping now so I hope he will be inproved in the morning!
fl.gif

No, we don't have a local vet. We do have a vet, but he doesn't live close and doesn't treat birds/some rodents.

~ Aspen

Drat, it's a shame that he doesn't treat birds.
sad.png
I don't suppose there's a vet school within reasonable driving distance? These days most of them have a "zoo med" program that will work with poultry/fowl species as well as parrots. They might be worth a call, regardless: they'd have access to a vet directory and might be able to put you in touch with a bird vet in the area. In the meantime, keeping this guy in like you're doing is a great idea--it's easier to tell if he's eating and drinking, and he doesn't have to stress about predators. I will keep my fingers crossed!​

Quote:
Drat, it's a shame that he doesn't treat birds.
sad.png
I don't suppose there's a vet school within reasonable driving distance? These days most of them have a "zoo med" program that will work with poultry/fowl species as well as parrots. They might be worth a call, regardless: they'd have access to a vet directory and might be able to put you in touch with a bird vet in the area. In the meantime, keeping this guy in like you're doing is a great idea--it's easier to tell if he's eating and drinking, and he doesn't have to stress about predators. I will keep my fingers crossed!

We live 2+ hours from any town that would have a vet that would treat birds. We live in a really, really, rural area.
We will keep treating him and hope for the best! I sure would hate to loose him, he is such a sweet fella.

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom