Eye problems, difficulty seeing

Phalpin

Chirping
7 Years
May 22, 2016
Thurmont, MD
I will use the suggested guidelines to ensure thoroughness:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Barred Rock hen, 7 years old, seems underweight compared to the others in the flock.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Walks slower, seems fatigued, still feisty when I try to give Rx anti-inflammatory, sleeps alone in a separate nesting box area

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Her face area been paler than her "sister" for a long time--many months. The increase "unwell" symptoms have been about 2-3 months.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, the other hens look healthy and robust.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Nothing I nor the vet can see. Henny's eyes look really off. She has trouble seeing the food she wants to eat.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I have no idea.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I have seen her eat and drink her regular feed, blueberries and scratch. I put Strike III in the flicks feed about 1 weeks ago. I recently put ACV in one waterer. When she discovered there was a pill in her blueberries, she stopped eating them (clever bird).

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Very runny, liquid, messy bum

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Vet prescribed carprofen 12.5 mg

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Henny is eating, drinking and mobile. I had her examined by a vet 2+ weeks ago and was told no mites, parasites or any obvious signs of illness (????). I don't think I want to spend a lot more money, but don't want to keep her alive if quality of life is poor.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Pictures attached

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Shaved wood, largely confined to runs and coops (yes, they have a lot of space).

Attachments

• 20230506_092843.jpg
    20230506_092843.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230506_093153.jpg
    20230506_093153.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230506_093027.jpg
    20230506_093027.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 1
How is the ventilation in your coop? Dusty conditions, mold, ammonia odors from the droppings, and other environmental conditions can cause eye irritation. Her eyes look inflamed and sore. I would try rinsing her eyes with saline eye wash, and then applying Terramycin eye ointment or some eye drop/ointment from the vet twice a day for awhile to see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom