Eye Problems. help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenMamaSamm, Jun 27, 2016.

1. ChickenMamaSamm

ChickenMamaSamm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2013
    ne pa
    One of my chicks has a deformed lower outer eye lid. It seems to prevent her from closing he eye all the way. She is getting a yellow gunk on her eye ball which is stopping her inner eye lid from closing making the situation worse. A few days ago I used triple antibiotic on it. but that didn't seem to help.I tried for several hours yesterday to remove the "gunk" from her eye flushing it with saline. I got a lot of it out but some was to thick to dissolve completely.

I would love any suggestions to help this poor thing.[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Any discharge from the nose, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, etc.?
    Do you see any peck mark or possible injury to the eye, that could have caused infection?

Swollen eyes/face can be a sign of respiratory illness. Try to get all the gunk/pus out of the eye. You may have to use a qtip and/or tweezers to pull it out. Infection (pus) in chickens is usually thick and can have a "cheese" consistency that needs to be removed. Flushing is good, if it's hardened, then you can try warm wet compresses to soften it, so you can work it out.

After you have it cleaned out, apply some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment in the eye.

If it is caused by a respiratory disease, then you may have to treat with antibiotics as well.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  3. ChickenMamaSamm

ChickenMamaSamm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2013
    ne pa
    Thank you for your reply. She has no signs of infection other then the “gunk” in her eye. I have gotten Terramycin and have been applying it. It looks like her body is now trying to shed the “gunk” so hopefully in the next few days it will be better.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hope she gets better soon[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by