Eye problems... need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littledel, Aug 8, 2010.

1. littledel

littledel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Russellville, Arkansas
    I have a few (4) of my young (3-4 month old) chickens having some eye infection problems that I just cannot seem to get rid of. Their eyes start off with just a little swelling, then has a slight clearish whitish discharge around the eye and a little clear nasal drainage. So, far I have treated with Tylan 50 and Vetrx and some carbo salve. The birds will seem to get better, but in a couple weeks it starts again on the same birds. I have also used Sulmet in their water, which seemed to help a little. Right now I have the birds separated, and culling is the last thing I want to do. If there is a way to treat this condition, I would dearly like to know. Anyone know what I am dealing with and what I can do to try and save my birds?

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

... not sure, but hopefully someone on here will have some ideas.

3. littledel

Mar 27, 2010
    Russellville, Arkansas
    I added Durymycin to their water today and gave them another dose of Tylan 50. They do not look good.

4. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Does it smell rotten?

5. littledel

Mar 27, 2010
    Russellville, Arkansas
    Quote:no, there is no smell at all. Just the whitish discharge and swelling, and the birds just not acting very perky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by