Eye problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luna01, Nov 23, 2016.

1. luna01

luna01 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2016
    Can someone please help I've looked everywhere and I can't seem to find anything to help or explain my problem. I have lovely full grown red hen with white tail feathers however today I noticed that she wasn't eating with the others. When I went to check on her I noticed that her eye was crusted shut. I've had problems with chicken diseases before so my immediate response was to separate her from the others. I tried look for what she might have online but I can't seem to find anything her symptoms are yellow eye crust, a bubbly and with discharge from said eye (though very minimal), she will shake her head rather violently every few seconds and I'm not sure if what hit me was snot or saliva, oh and when I tried to wipe her eye I notice that the napkin had a little bit of blood on it

2. luna01

Mar 29, 2016
    I forgot to mention that her eye isn't swollen and it's a white discharge coming form her eye.
    Thank you so much

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sounds like Coryza or another respiratory disease.Get some eye ointment for chickens at tractor supply ect and apply daily.Also get Tylan 50 for respiratory issues in chickens.

4. luna01

Mar 29, 2016
    Thank you so much for your help. Do you know if this coryza also cause a chickens eye to sink into the head? I managed to clean most of the eye with a napkin but when I opened her eye for a few seconds I panicked because I couldn't actually see her eye (I though it go plucked out) but then I realized the it was just sunken into her head if that makes any sense.

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Most respiratory diseases messes with the eye in some sort of way.Keep her isolated with water and food and apply eye ointment and use tylan every day

6. luna01

Mar 29, 2016
    Thank you so much for your help [​IMG]

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    No problem.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by