Eye Problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GreenGabe, Jan 8, 2017.

1. GreenGabe

GreenGabe New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    P-Cola, Florida
    So 2 out of my 9 chickens are having eye problems and I guess because I am a new owner I am stressing myself out. One, a silky cochin mix is keeping her eye closed and there is a matted feather plastered to it. Every time I go to wipe it with warm water, she freaks out. The other, a Black Aussie, has some blood and pus coming out of it and when I go to pick her up, she doesn't put up any fight like she typically does. I saw that this could be stressed related, something like having a dormant illness and stress bringing it up. I jut introduced 4 new ones, two silky cochins, one of which is having the eye problem, and two Amercaunas. And, where I am this past week has been pretty bad weather wise, what with raining constantly and flooding our neighborhood and dropping below 30 yesterday. That might not be cold for most, but for Florida that is awful and I don't think my chicks were ready for that. I don't know if age matters, but they are all around 5-6 weeks. I could really use some advice as to what to do, and anything will be appreciated!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC.

Can you post some photos?
    How do you have them housed - are they in a brooder or outside in a coop?
    What do you feed?

Silkie Cohcin - I am assuming since the eye is matted, there must be a discharge? Gently swaddle her in a towel, this will help you control her a bit better. If you have saline this would be best to flush the eye. You can also use a warm wet cloth as a compress - hold it gently on the eye to see if it will loosen the matted feathers. Once you have the eye cleaned and clear of feathers, take a look to see if there is any debris in it (food/bedding/feathers), if so gently flush with saline to wash the eye out.

Black Aussie - blood and pus in the eye and possibly lethargic? It's possible that she may have been pecked in the eye. Gently flush the eye with saline and remove any pus you see. Inspect the eye to see if she has any small peck wound in or around the eye. Since she has pus, it could be infected. You can apply Vetericyn eye gel or Terrramycin eye ointment to the eye. Keep it cleaned of pus.

If she is lethargic, make sure she is hydrated. Offer some poultry vitamins in her water. You can also give her some wet chick starter to see if she will eat.

Let us know how they are doing.

3. GreenGabe

GreenGabe New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    P-Cola, Florida
    Wish I could take some pictures but I currently do not have my phone. Did everything you suggested and they are doing much better! I have them in a coop normally but I brought the chickens inside.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear they are improving.

Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by