eye problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sueche, Nov 14, 2011.

1. sueche

sueche Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I just bought 3 hens yesterday from a local auction. They are ameraucanas. I kept them in a separate coop and when I went out today I noticed two of them have eye trouble. I am fairly new to chickens and haven't dealt with sick chickens so I have no idea what is the problem.
    Here is what I observed. One has bubbles of water over her eyes, when I caught her she was screaming as if she was in pain or scared. she was calm when I had her an my lap. I took a warm cloth and wiped her eyes. It is all crusted around her eyes. Her lids seem stretched out and red. she also had nappy feathers on her back. The other hen had the same crusty build up in eyes, no bubbles, and red stretched lids. Her back tail feathers are missing.
    If anyone can guide me what is the problem and how I can go about getting them healed.

I am so frustrated with the auction that they would allow sick birds to be sold.
    Anyway here are some pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. sueche

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    It makes me so sad and sick to see them. Is there any hope for them??

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] I've never seen anything like this before. I hope they pull through.

4. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    I would clean them with a cotton pad dipped in warn slightly salted water, they look very irritated.
    Keep cleaning them and try putting some eye drops in them if they don't clear up.
    Hope they get better soon!

5. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi, first i would bring her in as the other chickens will peck at it.. Soak some cotton wool in warm salty water and add some eye wash in it if you have any, go to your local pharmacy and ask for eye drops for conjunctavitis it works brilliant..( i work in a pharmacy and theres nothing in that eye drop that will hurt her) put 1 drop in twice a day for 5 days if if you can.. hope this helps. Tracy xxx

6. sueche

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I do have them separate. One seem to have a hard time breathing, she has her mouth open and taking deep breaths. I will try the salt water. keep ya'll posted

7. sueche

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    and they smell bad.

8. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    If they smell bad....i may suspect Coryza but idk...they could have multiple things going on.

I hope they are able to get better <3

9. sueche

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I think we are going to cull them. [​IMG] If it is highly contagious, I don't want to risk my other birds. Can you eat them if they are sick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by