Eye problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DuckCommander, Aug 7, 2013.

1. DuckCommander

DuckCommander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    Alberta
    Lately I have had a bunch of chickens and chicks with eye issues. The eyes don't appear to be overly goopy but they are stuck shut. When you catch them you are able to get their eyes open with a quick rub, but they go back closed by the next visit out to the coop. Is there something I should be adding to their water or feed to help this?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are the eyes swollen as well as draining? It sounds like an outbreak of a respiratory infection. Are you able to post a close-up photo? Is ther any sneezing, gurgly breathing, bubbles in the eyes? Would there be any other reason for eye irritation such as an ammonia build-up in the coop?

3. DuckCommander

Oct 24, 2012
    Alberta
    The eyes don't appear swollen. Honestly it just looks like they are keeping their one eye closed like they are sleeping. No sneezing, gurgling or bubbles at this time, I did have one hen like that in early spring but she is gone now. The coop does need cleaned, which is planned for tomorrow maybe that is it. If it is a respiratory infection what should I use to treat, and does everyone get treated?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If they develop more symptoms, an antibiotic such as Tylan, Duramycin 10, or Terramycin would be good to give. Some infections are viral, so antibiotics just prevent secondary infections.

5. DuckCommander

Oct 24, 2012
    Alberta
    Ah, they are started other symptoms, turkeys have swollen and bubbly eyes. We lost one turkey last night. Now for the fun search to find any of these drugs in my area! :S What about Tetracycline 250 or Neomycin?

6. DuckCommander

Oct 24, 2012
    Alberta
    The tetracycline says not to use in laying birds, does that mean at all or the withdrawal period for eggs is much longer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by