Eye/sinus infection in EE meat roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunny Side Up, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Please help me decide what to do for this 6-month-old EE rooster. He's part of a batch of surplus cockerels destined for the table. I pen them up at night and let them free-range all day. We've had a lot of rain here recently, and the extreme dampness seems to encourage respiratory infections in my chickens.

I've heard a few sneezes from some of these guys, but no wheezing. Only one has a goopy eye, but his breathing sounds fine. I have him confined to his own cage now.

Should I just treat his eye with eye ointment, or give him some Tylan-50? Or just leave him to shed it by himself? Should I try some other home remedies like garlic in his water? I don't want to put a lot of Rx in a bird we're going to eat. Could I process him with a goopy eye? Would that affect his meat, or just his head?

Thank you for your help with this.

2. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    i would not trust not treating him and having some kind of infection in your meat, I would put him on antibiotics for a week quick the long you wait the harder it will be to get rid of. then after you have him off wait 15 days he should be clean. when ever i see the sighs of infection i treat asap because i had one of my rooster with an eye infection and did not catch it soon enough and it took over a month to treat.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Thank you, that is about what I was thinking, I appreciate the confirmation. I don't plan to process again for a few weeks anyway, and even then will only do half of the remainders, doing the other half a few weeks after that. So he should be free of infection and antibiotics by then. Thank you!

4. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    Your welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by