1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye sores - need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by macncheese, Sep 24, 2012.

1. macncheese

macncheese New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    Hello All,
    I am new to this backyard chicken thing and have a problem with one of my girls. I recently purchased 3 hens and one has come down with something. She has sores on both eyes. I thought it may have been fowl cholera from doing research online, but now I am not sure.
    I have treated all 3 hens with a water soluble sulfa antibiotic for 4 days and the eye has not changed. I have also been cleaning her eyes and applying Neosporin twice a day for the last 2 days. I am at a loss on what to do now.
    Any advise would be appreciated. My 4 year old daughter is completely attached to these girls and we would hate to lose any of them. Below is a picture of Macaroni's eye. Thanks a million!
    .[​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You may want to have those birds tested. You should also look up "coryza" and see if that may be what you are dealing with.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    maybe fowl pox?

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

That looks like a bunch of small sores....almost like bite sores from an insect or something...like wasp stings or something. Try giving some Benadryl to see if it helps. Fowl pix is normally raised bumps that get dark and scabby...but those seem more like blisters.....

1 person likes this.
  5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I agree. I have a run of fowl pox going through my flock right now and it does not look like the pic above. They look more like black/deep red scabs with pox. In second week of it and it seems to be peaking. Only about a week to go. Thankfully it did not turn to wet pox.

6. macncheese

macncheese New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    Thank you! I have contacted my local agricultural university to see if they can provide more information.

7. macncheese

macncheese New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    The poor girl can't see well enough to eat. She walks around and is pretty inquisitive, but can't see well at all.I am getting real worried about her. Any suggestions on getting food into her?

8. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    She should be isolated from the rest of the flock to insure they are not pecking at the sores. With that said you could scramble up some eggs and put them on a small plate in front of her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by