eye stuck shut?

mom2punkadus

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
Carter Lake, Iowa
One of my three Auaracana hens has been sneezing, so last Friday I began adding tetracycline to the waterer. I noticed at the same time that another one had a watery eye with a couple of bubbles.

The sneezing hen is rarely sneezing now. But now the other two hens have one eye each stuck shut. I'm still doing the tetracycline but what else should I be doing?

We also have some sick araucanas with similar symptoms. we took a warm wash cloth and gently wiped their eyes until they opened up.

this may sound strange, but We aren't using antibiotics. We dissolved 7 Shaklee garlic pills in a 1/4 cup of water and are shooting about 3 to 4 eye dropper fulls down their throat twice a day. We cured a buff orp roo and an isa brown hen with the garlic mixture a few weeks ago. They were so bad that we didn't think they would survive, but in two weeks, the roo was doing his thing and the isa brown started giving us an egg a day...

You can also open the eye with your fingers and use otc wetting agents from the drug store. A warm washclothe does help get off the goo, too.

Back
Top Bottom