eye stuck shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Morgan951, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Morgan951

Morgan951 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    My easter egger, Harriet, is about 6 months old and yesterday i saw her and her eye was fine and then a few hours later i came back and her eye had been watering and she kept closing it. I looked closely and she didnt have any signs of being pecked in the eye, there was no blood or anything. But i know shes pretty low in the pecking order and there's nothing around for her to hurt herself on. I did deworm with valbazen and use de dust two days ago, but her other eye is fine and the other chickens are fine also. She was fine all day till 3 pm yesterday, so i doubt it was any of the things i did. This morning her eye is stuck shut, since she was sleeping all night. What do i do? Use people eye drops? My dog got prescribed some eye drops, theyre steriod eye drops. I might still have those areound. Is that okay? What should i use to help her?

2. Tricia5099

Tricia5099 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Nothern IN
    Could you post a pic please

3. PrincessKristin

PrincessKristin Out Of The Brooder

Have you washed it with a warm wet cloth? You might can try neosporin ointment not the pain relief kind nor cream, to stop any infections. Could she have gotton it scratched anyhow?

4. Morgan951

Morgan951 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    I was going to post a pic after you asked but it looks better after i rinsed it with warm water and used eye drops. I think she got pecked in the eye! Shes low on the pecking order i think, so that makes sense. It looks like theres a little scab under her eye, where her bottom "lashes" would be. So i can use neosporin?

5. PrincessKristin

PrincessKristin Out Of The Brooder

Yes, neosoporin oitment without pain relief. We have used it on kittens ( even week old ones) and hens as well and it clears up infections. Even genric triple antibiotic from walmart ect is good. :) just make sure its NOT cream or pain relief kind.
    Kristin

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by