1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye swollen/infection? PICS INCLUDED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Flavum, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Flavum

Flavum Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    Rooster is an EE around a year old now.
    Just noticed today hes acting sluggish and kept closing his eyes. I have him seperated now from the flock.

From what I understand eye swelling can be like 10 different diseases, does this pose a red flag to anyone?

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: I will get some closer pics

Alright so it looks to just be mainly hi left eye, although I have seen him squint both occasionally.
    [​IMG]
    That Gunk on his beak is wet food with yogurt.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I've seen that before. It's the chicken equivalent of a head cold. My EE's all got it- strangely enough, but no other birds except a cochin. I can't think of what its called. If there's other issues going on it can be deadly, but a healthy bird just gets over it.

Man I can't think of what its called. Its the one you always freak out over when you have show birds because its so contagious and birds get it when stressed.

Or he poked his eye... lol.

I gave my birds yogurt in abundance when I noticed it.

1 person likes this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Have you noticed any respiratory symptoms other than a swollen eye? Such as; wheezing, sneezing, facial swelling, bubbly eyes, runny nostrils, gurgling. Is he eating/drinking normally? If there arnt any respiratory symptoms and he's eating/drinking normally, perhaps he may have debris in his eye or maybe he was pecked in or on the eye.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. guineafowlguy

guineafowlguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  5. Flavum

May 4, 2012
    Great im relieved and Worried XD

I do get what your saying though, he has always been a fiesty fella so hopefully it wont keep him down long.
    I have not noticed any other symptoms besides the eyes and his loss of alertness. Before I confined him he would follow the girls around and just sit there with his head pulled in.
    His appetite seems to be diminished some, still eats but not a whole lot. Gave him crumble with yogurt. Hes also getting nutri drench in water.

Just walked out there and he still seems to be in some what of a haze.

Also I had a hen died a couple days ago from what I assumed was internal laying, She was seperated the last couple days but Im a little worried she might have been able to pass something in that initial time before I seperated her. Obviously my roo wont have any problems with internal laying but could it be possible there was a secondary infection he caught?

Thanks for everyones time and answers, I appreciate it!

6. Flavum

May 4, 2012
    Well he is still doing well eating and drinking normally, seems to be more active then days past.

The past week or so he has been have loose white colored droppings. I feed yogurt a couple times a week along with misc. fruit, usually apples.

WARNING: POOP PICTURE INCOMING

[​IMG]

7. Flavum

May 4, 2012
    bumpage

The only information ive been able to find on droppings is chickens being too hot and not ingesting enough water. Obviously that is not his case as its February and temps usually don't get above 50ish.

8. Flavum

May 4, 2012
    Well more bad news im afraid, walked into the house today and noticed one of the EE hens (over a year old) laying face down wings spread on the ground.

Does this sound like mareks? I understand its highly contagious so all my birds undoubtedly have it at this point. could that have been what the roo was battling these past weeks?

Whatever it is,it seems to be making its way through my flock.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  9. moody-chicken

moody-chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Oh god I'm reading this thread avidly because one of my new Sussex bantams has a gunky squinty eye. The other eye is fine like your roo. She is the least active out of the 4 chickens but still walking around. She wheezes a lot when I go to pick her up but this could be just her panicking. Hope the rest of your chickens are OK ... I'm worried that whatever yours has mine have too! I only got them Saturday - gutted!

10. Flavum

May 4, 2012
    How are they doing now?

Well been over a week now and no more losses, everyone seems to be acting normally besides the Roo. Who still sits Idell with his head tucked back, he also been molting this entire time. Would his molting cause this type of behavior? Ive searched these forums and it looks like it is normal for them to be less active but I wonder if its to this degree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by