1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye swollen shut on goose.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Tivona, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    My gander is just starting to mate (finally) with my female goose. But today he got her eye while mating and now its totally swollen shut. Poor girl is all puffed up from the swelling and also crying. Lots of snot and sad sounds right after it happened. I gave her aspirin in the water and separated her out so she can have a bit of time alone. Her name is Snow and she is the sweetest thing, right now she just wants to be with me and away from him. Anything other then the aspirin water I can do for her?

2. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Plain antibiodic ointment on the eye lid seam so that if it gets infected it will catch it before it gets bad. Make sure you don't use a tube that is contaminated. I always use a cotton swab and just lightly brush it over the eye. She will get it spread around in her eye herself and if it is injured it will help it heal.

3. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks. I will try that. She is now able to open it a bit but her face is still very swollen and I am sure that eye is very painful. Fortunately she is a real sweetie and will be easy to care for. My poor gander, River, has no clue as to why I separated them or that he hurt her. I feel bad for both of them. Hopefully he gets better at mating soon...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by