Eye swollen shut on quail chick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wingedshade, Nov 13, 2016.

1. wingedshade

wingedshade Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2016
    Delta junction, Alaska
    I just got these little guys a few days ago. They are A&Ms not sure their exact age, but pretty young. One of them has a puffy shut eye. It's drinking normally, but it looks unhappy. It seems to prefer sitting by it's self in the sand dish. They have a tray of parakeet grit they have been dust bathing in, a heat lamp, plenty of water and the have 28% protein gamebird food.

One of the chicks escaped and fell to the floor, I'm not sure which one. All of the others seems fine. I do also have chickens, they are kept separately and I'm trying to minimize cross contamination.
    [​IMG]
    Any insight would be great, tis is my first time raising quail.

2. wingedshade

Feb 8, 2016
    Delta junction, Alaska
    Should I post this over on the quail forum as well?

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Is there any nasal discharge?

-Kathy

4. wingedshade

Feb 8, 2016
    Delta junction, Alaska
    Not that I could see. It doesn't seem to be wheezing or sneezing either.

5. wingedshade

Feb 8, 2016
    Delta junction, Alaska
    Update:
    I gave them quick chick in their water for about a week. I bought antibiotics, but I decided to wait and see. The chick is doing ok! The swelling went down. It doesn't like opening that eye and when it does its only part way. The area looks kinda sunken too. There is no discharge of any type as far as I can tell. I looked over their cage again, but I have not found any sharp edges and everyone else is fine.

I might have to go with Mom's initial advice: name it Odin. [​IMG]

I can update with a picture when I get home(internet permitting)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by