Eye Swollen Shut..Pics...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyrose, Sep 30, 2010.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Hello,ive got a 1 yr. old silkie hen i noticed yesterday that her eye was shut.i wiped it with saline.Today when i checked on her the eye was still shut and i noticed it was swollen and red around the eye.i also saw some puss.i again wiped it with saline.shes eating drinking,pooing and acting totally normal.she has nothing coming out of her nose and no sneezing shaking head.nothing out of the ordinary.im sorry the pics arent that great had to hold her and take the pic.any help would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. grasjm36

grasjm36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    This happened to one of my buff orpington chicks. I took her in the bathroom, cleaned it up with peroxide and (risky I know), opened her lid a bit and there was a bit of something sticking out. With my nails I grabbed it and pulled and out came a piece of cheat grass about an inch long!! I cleaned her up some more and shes been perfectly fine ever since!!

If you don't feel comfortable extracting something, call a vet!

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If she doesn't have any other signs of illness, i would guess she either has something in there - or that she got pecked in the eye by someone. I know that there is some kind of antibiotic cream you can put on their eyes, but i'm sorry i don't know the name. I've never had to treat that particular problem.

4. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i know i used neosporin,no pain on a cornish,but the eye was closed.she opens her eye after i clean it off so im afraid of what would happen if the neosporin got in her eye.

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I did a search, and i think Teramyacin is the ointment you can put on the eye.

6. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:thanks,i just found that myself.[​IMG] ill see if they have it at tsc tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by