Eye swollen shut please help!

Amlaprelle

Chirping
Mar 14, 2021
Hey have any insight into this? Her
0024F850-9BA0-42F7-B35B-E07FEA966F23.jpeg
left eye is totally swollen and kinda hard. I saw a tiny white bug crawling on her and she’s doing this with her head

Last edited:
Are you able to take a photo of the swollen eye close up?

Could you try to exert a bit of pressure at the corner of the eye to see if there's pus in the eye? It would ooze out with a little pressure. If there are eye worms, this will also expose them.

It sounds like she may have lice or mites crawling around. Can you look her over for that? Permethrin garden dust or spray from your feed store will treat lice or mites. Repeat in 10 days to get newly hatched ones.

Her eye looks to be crusty and shut. I would apply a wet warm washcloth as a compress to her eye for a few mintputes to get the eye open, so that you could take another picture of what is in the eye. Is ther pus, bubbles/foam, and look to see if the eye is intact. She could have been pecked in the eye, but she also could have some signs of a respiratory infection.

The head shaking could be partly from lice or mites, a respiratory infection, but it also looks a bit neurological at times. Could she have been pecked on her head or injured? Vitamin E 400 IU softgels and 1/4 tablet of human super B complex vitamins can be used to treat neurological problems.

It sounds like she may have lice or mites crawling around. Can you look her over for that? Permethrin garden dust or spray from your feed store will treat lice or mites. Repeat in 10 days to get newly hatched ones.

Her eye looks to be crusty and shut. I would apply a wet warm washcloth as a compress to her eye for a few mintputes to get the eye open, so that you could take another picture of what is in the eye. Is ther pus, bubbles/foam, and look to see if the eye is intact. She could have been pecke in the eye, but she also could have some signs of a respiratory infection.

The head shaking could be partly from lice or mites, a respiratory infection, but it also looks a bit neurological at times. Could she have been pecked on her head or injured? Vitamin E 400 IU softgels and 1/4 tablet of human super B complex vitamins can be used to treat neurological problems.
I did see lice and mites so I’ve used diatomaceous earth and have ordered some lice/mite specific spray. Would mites and love cause her eye to swell shut like that?! I’ve never had this issue but first time for everything. The other chickens have some mites too. We live in the Arizona desert so their entire area is a dust bath. Sprinkled DE all over for them to bathe in. I tried to use a warm washcloth and help open her eye but it’s so swollen

DE can be irritating to the eyes. It also will not treat an active lice infestation. She might have scratched her eye if she was irritated by lice or mites. Hard to know if that was the cause or if she has a respiratory or eye infection, but MG and some respiratory diseases can cause a swollen, gunky eye. Tell us what you see inside the eye. You can clean an eye with saline and put a dab of Terramycin eye ointment intot the eye twice a day. Use plain Neosporin if you cannot get Terramycin.

Back
Top Bottom