Eye swollen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beechick, Jul 30, 2013.

1. beechick

beechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2013
    Hi all. About a week ago I noticed Alice, my 1 year old Delaware, has a swollen area
    Under the left eye. Right eye unaffected. There is no drainage or crustiness into the eye itself and no redness of the eyeball. Just swollen underneath. I thought I would watch it, and over this last week it has not gotten worse, nor improved. It has stayed the same. Her behaviors, eating drinking and pooping have all seemed normal. How long should I watch and wait? Any thoughts?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she have any gurgling, rattles, or wheezing when breathing or when exerted? Any eye bubbles or nasal drainage?

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If she has no other symptoms as described by Eggcessive,then you could put an eye antibiotic under her eye. The one i use on my chickens is polysporin 2 antibiotic eye ointment. Make sure you use nothing ending in "cane/caine" toxic to chickens. Could be a bug bite or scratch/peck that may be infected. Infections in chickens are not like infections in other animals,pus is hard not fluid.

4. beechick

beechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2013
    Thanks y'all. She doesn't have any respiratory wheezing or rattling, no sneezing and no draining. Will try the antibiotic ointment. Thanks again !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by