Eye Trouble - Need Avian Vet in Western NY

fivelittlechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 13, 2009
New York
My hen developed eye trouble yesterday and seems stressed so I brought her in the house.
We lost a hen in July possibly due to stress and she died even with isolation from the flock and we couldnt not find an avian vet.
We are in Rochester NY area and if you have any suggestions that would be great.

An eye infection may be developing and we are not sure how to care for this.

Minimally eating and drinking, pooed once in 2 hours.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
~Shawna

It seems warm to touch! But not hot! She won't let me open it. But when I see it, it looks normal, no discharge, and no smell what so ever. I will continue to look for injury. The multiple other roosters have been after her for mating and she has a roo that she prefers. This may have caused an injury. I do not suspect disease. Quite confident about that. But if it looks infected should I use an antibiotic in water or certain kind. Maybe eye ointment?

I'm from that area originally. I called a couple of people and they said that you should call:

East Ridge Animal Hospital
60 Dubelbeiss Ln, Rochester, NY 14622
Phone: (585) 467-2120

ETA: the doctor that sees the chickens is there on Tuesdays and Thursdays and may be booked. Call tomorrow and see if he can see you because it is an emergency. You will need to tell them that it is an emergency and not just a regular appointment or else they won't squeeze you in.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!
That is more info than I could get from 4 veterinary hospitals within 40 miles of me. I will definitely keep this on hand.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom