Eye turning black on Wyandotte chicken ?

Eigen

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2022
Hello, my chicken named Koki who already had a thread about her now has a weird eye that first turned white then turned black right after, she doesn't have any other symptoms, she eats and runs towards us when we give them snacks, she drinks fine and even lays delicious eggs, the thing is her eye is still turning black (and blind?) and we don't know what could be the cause at all here's some pics of her good eye and her black eye

we also don't think this is Marek's disease as we have three chickens who doesn't have anything going on at all and also because of what we said just before (her doing great in the coop and in the garden)

IMG_20220805_182517.jpg
IMG_20220805_182323.jpg
IMG_20220805_181851.jpg

we've been giving her drops for the eyes and it didn't seem to do anything, we're thinking she may have gotten her eye injured when running around the coop
we also wanted to go to the vet again but since we're still young (we're both Fée and me 18 years old) and my parents don't want to go see a vet and says she's fine because of what we said in the first paragraph and are pretending they know everything about chicken keeping (they said to us they won't get antibiotics because you don't give that to chickens)

Please give us your thoughts and your help !

I'd also like to mention how much I hate the fact there is nothing about chicken health in general on the internet, when you enter the chicken's symptoms, everything i've searched for was out of context and not helpful at all...

What kind of drops did you use in the eye? It looks more to me like there was some kind of injury, the white afterward could have been pus/infection, or could have been cloudiness. I would guess that she's blind in that eye now. She can adapt and thrive with one eye, but will always be a bit more at risk since she can't see anything coming from that side. I would just watch for any signs of infection, swelling, that might need an antibiotic. When one eye gets infected there is a chance it can spread to the other eye. In the US we can get plain neosporin or terramycin eye ointment without a vet, not sure what might be available where you are.

What kind of drops did you use in the eye? It looks more to me like there was some kind of injury, the white afterward could have been pus/infection, or could have been cloudiness. I would guess that she's blind in that eye now. She can adapt and thrive with one eye, but will always be a bit more at risk since she can't see anything coming from that side. I would just watch for any signs of infection, swelling, that might need an antibiotic. When one eye gets infected there is a chance it can spread to the other eye. In the US we can get plain neosporin or terramycin eye ointment without a vet, not sure what might be available where you are.
Thanks a lot for your input, I will search what antibiotics i can use to protect my chicken, as I live in france I don't know if I can get those kind of antibiotics though, i will search for something similar !

Thanks a lot for your input, I will search what antibiotics i can use to protect my chicken, as I live in france I don't know if I can get those kind of antibiotics though, i will search for something similar !
actually, it turns out the drops i used on my chicken already were antibiotics, the name of the bottle is tevemyxine collyre, it's what our vet prescribed to us last time we've been to her

actually, it turns out the drops i used on my chicken already were antibiotics, the name of the bottle is tevemyxine collyre, it's what our vet prescribed to us last time we've been to her
another update, i've found Terramycin but it's more of a cream than an ointment, i don't really know how i could put that on my chicken's eye without the others pecking on it since they like yogurt and might think it is

I would also think the eye was injured or pecked, and she is permanently blind. But she should be able to live a fairly normal life with one good eye.
yea we already noticed she's rocking it and she's still a little sniper, she notices insects from far away and eats them before her two little friends

Back
Top Bottom