Eye Worm or just an infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AHDCST, Mar 11, 2012.

1. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] I just can't figure this poor hen's problem out for her. I thought it looked like an eye worm as there was bubbling in her eye. I have had a problem with a eye worm before. This chicken hasn't responded to the VetRx treatment that worked before. She is nearly blind in this eye. I have kept her isolated from the rest of the flock for over a month. I am afraid she won't be welcome in the flock anymore or they might peck at her eye since it looks so bad. I had a hard time getting her to show me the side of her face. She turns her head to keep the bad eye hidden.[​IMG]
    Any suggestions? Should I just put her down?It has to be painful and I'm fairly sure she has lost her place in the pecking order.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    When you dealt with eyeworm before, what did the eyeworm look like...color and length? Has she been scratching her eye alot?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have dealt with eyeworm too.

What I saw when I had two chickens with eyeworm was the following:

white cataract-looking center of eye
    no eye drainage or bubbling
    no respiratory symptoms at all
    cream-colored/whitish thing at the bottom of the eye that I couldn't wipe away or clean off- I realized it was a worm.

I am not sure you are dealing with eyeworm.

I would take a look at this webpage to see if you can identify another disease process that might cause the eye bubbling:
    http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.... SYMPTOMS FOR DIAGNOSING POULTRY DISEASES.pdf

Can you think of any other signs of illness she might be having?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031
    this might help, too

4. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] The other chicken with an eye worm I could see a white worm in between her 2'nd and 3'rd eyelids. This chicken I can't see anything. It started with some bubbles but that is the only similarity. This chicken has a fever and sounds very congested when she breaths. She is not scratching her eye that I can tell.The pocket of whatever it is is hard. When I mash it she tries to get away from me so I'm guessing it is very sore. I can't get anything to come out of it. It isn't draining anything out of it. It reminds me of a blackhead. She keeps that eye turned away and walks with her head tilted so she can see. I really don't think she can see out of the bad eye.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's one of 2 things; she was pecked hard and it swoll up. I'm leaning toward a respiratory disease due to the congestion and bubbles. If there's a foul odor about her head area, it's coryza. Otherwise it could be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Here's a link: you can scroll down and read about both disease.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Thanks, I have put Duramycin in her water. I am going to keep her isolated and see how she does in a few days.

7. Dustygal

Dustygal New Egg

Jul 29, 2012
    Take 1 cc of Valbazen to 2cc of water OR mineral oil. MIX WELL. Apply to eye. Rub around with finger. Along with 1/2cc UNdeluted ORAL dose. Treat again in 10 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by