Eye Worms ( My Annabell)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dina k, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Dina k

Dina k Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2013
    Need some advice. I noticed that my Annabell had what looked like a milky substance in the corner of her bad eye. I thought it was debris of some kind so I gently flush her eye thinking this would help. The next day it looked like a white ring. I did some research and it is eye worms. I'm new at this so I picked up VetX. Will this work??? I don't have a picture at the moment of this problem only Annabell. Is there a better way to get rid of or to prevent this????? I looked threw the threads but could not find one on eye worms. The problem is in the eye that you see in the picture.(meaning her bad eye)

[​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Did a google search and a whole page of reputable sites offering answers came up so I will just offer you the link. Hope it helps.
    Quote:

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Eye worm is a very rare type of round worm that exists in tropical areas where the Surinam roach lives. Symptoms are severe scratching of the eye. Respiratory infections causing eye symptoms can resemble it. There are methods described of using 0.5% iodine or 0.5% Lysol, then washing out the eye right afterwards, but the safest method would be to use the wormer albendazole (Valbazen) directly into the eye twice a day for 3 straight days, and then also giving it orally at 25 mg per Kg (or each 2.2 lbs) once. Here is a study that used this method: http://jivaonline.net/admin/upload/pdf_139.pdf

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can actually see the worms in the eye:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dina k

Jun 9, 2013
    Ok Thank all so very much with this issue and my Annabell. My husband and I looked we see NO worms in the eye! But in the corner of the it does have a milky looking substance. It almost looks like Morning eye boogers in people, (sorry I don't know how else to describe it). I have heard no sneezing from any of the other hens nor Annabell. And there no runny nose's in the coop. If it were a respiratory problem wouldn't they be sneezing or something????

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture? Frequently respiratory infections start with watery eyes, then nasal drainage, then gurgles, rattles, wheezes, sneeze, and conjuntivitis or goopy eyes. It won't hurt to do the Valbazen eyeworm treatment. Valbazen is the best wormer on the market right now. Then if symptoms persist or get worse for respiratory disease, you can think about getting it tested or using antibiotics. Here is a list of common respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

8. Dina k

Jun 9, 2013
    I will try to get a picture og the discharge that i am asking tomorrow morning and post it. Although it seems like it's better in the am and gets worse as the day goes on. I will work on that picture in the morning

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    She might have some type of debris in her eye. Flush it with saline solution, then put a small amount of terramycin eye ointment in her eye twice a day for 3 days. If you cant find the terramycin eye ointment, use neosporin in a pinch.

10. Diannastarr

Diannastarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2014
    Bisbee AZ 85603
    GOSH WAS THIS EYE WORM...??? OR WHAT..????? GOLLY GEEE, I found a white dot in the corner of my BR eye just A FEW DAYS AGO, I looked all over on line to see what that could be ...? I found some info about eye worm, so I ordered VET RX & some antibiotic eye salve on line and wile waiting for that to arrive I was thinking we should at least flush out the eye, with some warm eye bright herb tea, I found that info about treating the eye with some eye bright tea , on line from England, so this evening after we stopped working on the coop ,installing some nice tree branches, & after I looked for her, so we could flush out her eye & put her to bed in a pen by her self, I had her in our hospital pen , but she was soooo upset about that , she had no other signs of any illness at all, no swelling or no head shaking or scratching her eye , or any other signs of an illness no smell or runny nose, & NO signs of any illness & was wanting to get out sooo bad , she was sooo unhappy being locked up by her self , so i checked her all over & her poop was solid with no signs of worms , plus she was eating & drinking her vitamin water well , so i let her out to stop her from jumping trying to get out ,and as soon as she got out she ran over to the nest boxes to lay an egg ,....lol....[​IMG] so after I found her this evening out in the pasture grazing on grass , we found that white spot thing that was in her eye had just disappeared...? if it was eye worm...? what could have happened...? I have no idea...?? so does any one have any ideas of what that could have been...?? if it was or was not an eye worm...? ...? it could be an injury that healed ...? its all just a mystery tonight ...?[​IMG] but I will keep an eye on her for sure, thanks to any one who might have any ideas...? of what we could have been dealing with...? and thanks to all of you mates on BYC...!!!!! who are always soooooo much help....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have a good one & take care , O and happy Halloween....!!!!!!! [​IMG] ........lol.............. this is my haunted walk way by our old haunted shed......lol.. [​IMG]...lol....[​IMG][​IMG]

Dianna......[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by