Eye Wounded, Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kyzmette, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    My sweet Isbar got a scratch on her eye. I separated her and the EE she was confined with, but the EE got out of her tub and into the Isbar's tub, and this is the result. I believe that black mass is the swelling and scab that had been forming on her original scratch, but it's possible actual damage was done to her eye. Is there anything I can do or should be doing?

Thanks so much in advance if you can help. I'm very fond of this Isbar.

[​IMG]

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

She needs an ointment for eyes. Maybe your vet could give you something like a gentimycin tube.

3. Kyzmette

Aug 28, 2013
    Before the secondary damage I had checked our local Tractor Supply for antibiotic ointment, but they were out. Tomorrow I'm going to call around and pick some up. Thanks!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There is a shortage of Terramycin ointment nationally. Erythromycin eye ointment can be obtained at most vets (and they may have some Terramycin still on the shelf.) But plain Neosporin ointment can be used in an emergency. Veterycin would also be good, but I haven't used it.

5. Kyzmette

Aug 28, 2013
    Oooooh, I have a tube of erythromycin ointment for an eye problem I had. I also have Vetericyn, but is there any problem with it getting IN the eye?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think there is a special veterycin eye gel. The Emycin is better, since it is an antibiotic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by