Eye

BLACKCATFARM

Songster
Feb 8, 2018
I have a Rhode Island with a very swollen eye. Is this from puss or some other issue?

Attachments

• 25F69C3D-696A-494E-844D-3D7C71E4190B.jpeg
    25F69C3D-696A-494E-844D-3D7C71E4190B.jpeg
    416.9 KB · Views: 10
How long has it looked swollen? It could be from a respiratory disease with sinus infection and pinkeye, a peck wound, injury with infection, or a foreign body in the eye. Can you see the eye inside? What have you done for it so far? I would irrigate the eye with saline eye wash, and clean out or press out any pus or gunk with Qtips.

It’s been quite a bit that it’s been swollen. I think she did have an upper respiratory issue. She got over that and then her eye got swollen. You can still see her eye. I’ve tried rinsing it, putting topical antibiotic, squeezing it. Nothing has seemed to change the swollenness. Thank you for the reply.

You will need to get the pus out of her eye and do a saline eye wash to it twice a day. It might take more than one session to remove the pus. Manipulating the eyelid may help, and QTips or tools may be necessary. Only after getting it out will the antibiotic ointment help, and that is also twice a day. Eventually, she can become blind if it isn’t taken care of. A vet may be of help. Here are some videos to help:

This one is where the pus has solidified and harder to get out:

Back
Top Bottom