EYEEEE!! YAY!! chicked hatched on own, umb.cord still attchd to egg???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pureupto99per, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Pureupto99per

Pureupto99per Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    Orange, CA
    :barnieMy second chick just hatched out on its own JUST NOW!! its in the incubator floundering with the egg still attached to it... what do I do? Nothing? remove the egg shell.... I just lost my first hatchling because I helped it out (it died the day after). I dont want to do the wrong thing... prompt responce would be GREAT!! I'm so happy for this little one!! We named it Balut [​IMG]

2. Pureupto99per

Dec 17, 2009
    Orange, CA
    ooops I meant [​IMG] ... instead of:barnie

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Leave it alone unless it's bleeding from where the cord is attached. If it's bleeding from dragging the egg around you can separate the cord from the egg. Just make sure you hold a towel on it afterwards so that that end doesn't bleed. If it's still attached to the egg when the cord dries up then you can cut it close to the egg once it's dry without worrying about it bleeding.

4. Pureupto99per

Dec 17, 2009
    Orange, CA
    it was bleeding when I went back and checked after you posted, I carefully pinched it off and placed a clean towel against it.. didnt take long for it to stop. Put chick back in incubator... Thank you sooo much!! this is my first hatch!! Funny thing... when she hatched out it seemed like three more eggs pipped!! [​IMG] so excited!!

5. Pureupto99per

Dec 17, 2009
    Orange, CA
    sorry this is my first time... I'm really stoked. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by