Eyeless chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Squishychicken, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    So I have serama eggs hatching. I picked all them up to check them out and One has hatched out eyeless. I understand that she may not live but I wanna try. Its name is gilfree. She was hatched under a broody hen and I dont wanna risk her getting trampled or picked on. Or culled by the mom cause I know how they can sense the chicks less likely to survive.

Any tips for it? I have it separate right now. Ots pretty healthy and strong so I think it had a chance

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    :eek: are you sure they aren't closed? I'm pretty sure you are...:eek: where did you get them? It seems to me that they were very inbred:eek:

casportpony likes this.
  3. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    I got some frizzle serama from a dude who got them from a breeder never breed and hatched them till now but I have yet to tell if it's a frizzle though but my smooths I have one hen that's the daughter of my Male....but I have a few hens like that ive hatched multiple batches out of and no issiues.

There definantly not closed she has her ear holes but no eyes her head is feathers were her eyes are. Its hard to tell in the pic. But I'm 100% sure she has no eyes.

15558639321395257632009705822184.jpg

4. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    I have heard of this. There was another thread recently about an eyeless chick. This does happen unfortunately. I think the other person separated the chick with one or two others only for company, in a brooder not with the hen. The problem is the other chickens will always pick on her/him so it's best to keep her in a small group for the rest of her life. Also it's important to keep her in a smaller brooder/pen/run her whole life with the important things in the same place so she she can find from memoty not sight, e. G. Food and water,nest boxes. She may never roost.

5. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Unfortunately often there are other unseen deformities that can cause health problems. But if it is just no eyes then the chicken can live a good life with special care.

I wonder if anyone knows what causes this because I was thinking it was due to temperature problems in an incubator. I've never heard of this with hen brooded chicks.

6. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    I've seen a few threads with the hens and eyeless chicks. Ya shes just alone right now I'm waiting until all the chicks hatch before I pick a few other maybe for her to live with.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Poor little thing. :fl hope you can teach it to eat any drink. :fl :hugs

8. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    Well I'm gonna wait a couple more days before I feed it cause the yolk storage. But I think until its bigger and dosent need much heat I'll have to hand feed it but I'm gonna keep it in a small brooder with feed and water in the same spot. Every so often I'll "walk it" to the feed and water. Ill probably keep it with a few buddies. I have more serama and silkies hatching soon so I may just wait till those ones hatch for a buddy.

9. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    If it really some to It Can you tube feed a chick this small though?

10. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    Any other suggestions on how to get it to eat

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: