eyeliner

manybirds

Songster
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
I know it's not very BYH but how do u guys apply eyeliner (from a pencil not liquid). i don't want anything sweeping and dramatic. I just want casual

Pull on your bottom eyelid a little bit until you can see the line of skin right above your lash line.
Once you can see it, apply the liner.
It's not as bad as it sounds or seems. Actually quite easy and very subtle
smile.png

if you are a beginner i suggest starting with the self sharpening kind. they are plastic sticks that you twist to make the tip come up like lipstic. they are usually pretty soft and easy to apply.

unless you have large eyes don't go for strait black, try dark brown, it's softer and easier to blend. also don't apply "under" the lashes near the eye ball. close the eye, push the lashes of the top lid down and apply along the lash line. if you do it along the eye ball the color will irritate the eyes, cause smearing and make the eyes look smaller.

it is best to apply eye liner after you have your base and or foundation on and less is more in eye liner.

if you have small eyes, or high cheek bones do not apply eye lined on the bottom lid or it will smudge.

you tube has tutorials where you can watch people talk about make up application.

Last edited:
Good ideas! I always smudge it when I try to put it on! I don't do it very often, but when I do, it is a pain in the rear!

Oh, and I also find it helpful to not focus on the eyeliner stick that it so close to your eye, focus in on your entire face in the mirror.

When you pick a color, unless you want it to look obvious that you're wearing some, go for nothing more than one shade darker than your eyebrows. But then again, women are free to wear make-up in such a way that they're not trying to hide the fact that they're wearing it, so you have some liberty there. If you just want a bit of an eye-pop without a very obvious effect, however, follow the advice in my first sentence.

I don't wear it casually, but I've done theatre and a couple of commercials back when I was young and cute. The make-up I wore needed to look like I wasn't wearing make-up, and that's the general guideline I followed. Of course, back when I was in Man of La Mancha under heavy lights with dungeon-darkness backgrounds, I went a bit heavier.

ETA -- I found an old pic of me backstage during Man of La Mancha. It's a pic of a pic, and it's (sheesh!) 13 years old, but I think you get the idea of how I applied the eyeliner. Oh, and I also dyed my hair darker, and had a lot of base on to make me look swarthy...and that "beard" is three different colors applied with a stipple sponge -- I still don't have much of a thick beard at age 35.

81585_lamancha.jpg

Last edited:
Just a note...make SURE that the eyeliner you use is not one that you are allergic to.

The whole "eyeliner running down the face because of my tears from the stinging and itching" is just not that cool.

I used to have a real problem with eyeliner wearing away during the day because my eyelids are fairly oily. I started using eyeshadow primer on both my eyelid and under my bottom lash line, then liner, then topping the liner with a matching eyeshadow color. The liner lasts much, much longer this way.

Off topic but I never had so much fun in my life as the year my DH was a pirate for Halloween. I finally weaseled him into letting me use eyeliner on him - man was that fun!

ok........ some good advice! do any of you use it on upper lid/inside of lid?

Back
Top Bottom