Eyes closed in the afternoon?

Gypsi

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 20, 2010
North Texas - chickens 10 yrs
I think it's worming time again. But I have never seen a worm, everyone's weight is good, we had months of drought when I'm pretty sure no worms were around, dogs didn't even have fleas. I wormed them last June I believe

I don't know that it is, but one of my young Barnevelder hens, just about 1 year old now, got her at point of lay last January. She was failing to thrive last summer, had to come in the house during the heat, and her comb has always been paler than her sisters'. Went out there to turn them loose this afternoon and she had her eyes closed and was perched low in the run. Now it is really windy today,. 35mph windy and warm. but the pale on her check wattles is whiter than it used to be.

I really don't think it's worms, but I wormed her, and I've got her in a dog crate with a perch, straw, food and water with rooster booster. I initially just tried to get water in her, having searched closed eyes on here and seen dehydration as a cause. I got some water in with the syringe, more with kind of dunking her face in shallow water. She's feisty enough to give me trouble getting her mouth open but I did get 1/2 ml of Valbazen in her

Attachments

• 20230206_155456.jpg
    20230206_155456.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 138
Don't worry about the size, chickens can swallow mice whole. Im right handed, I have my girl facing out on my left thigh then open her beak with my left hand and pop the pill in on the side of her beak, then watch her swallow.

@Gypsi

She swallowed it and drank water. She's still feisty this morning, figured out how to operate the perch in her dog crate, tried to get loose that's when I caught her and gave her the calcium. Seems to be eating and drinking fine. a bit of failure to thrive. I had her indoors last summer for a couple of days when she seemed to be overheating

@SmiYa0126

She ate a good amount of Layena, has drunk plenty, and her poop looks solid, green with a white streak. @SmiYa0126. Her facial combs and wattles are pale with a little white but I think a bit better and her eyes were open every time I went out today

Keep giving her the calcium for a few days. 💗
her cheek wattles are pinker and she seems to be feeling a lot better, so I think I am going to give her one more calcium pill and then put her back in with her sisters. I did put a dish of oyster shell calcium in their coop. Thank you very much for your help, I don't think I'd have figured it out and she is a young bird and it would have been a shame to lose her

her cheek wattles are pinker and she seems to be feeling a lot better, so I think I am going to give her one more calcium pill and then put her back in with her sisters. I did put a dish of oyster shell calcium in their coop. Thank you very much for your help, I don't think I'd have figured it out and she is a young bird and it would have been a shame to lose her
Wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom