Eyes puffy/diff breathing one by one

thiggins

Chirping
Mar 28, 2017
Texas
it started with one chicken 5 days ago...now I have two more ans they are worse, over night! Two more not acting right. Puffy eye, gurgling breathing. I quarantined the first and administered Tylon200. That one is better now and I have two more in quarantine and their eyes are worse.
Will I lose my flock? I’m in Texas and it’s been raining for two days now, forecast says we will have 3-4 more days of rain

Attachments

• 3132D28D-8DCE-4C33-B207-9091FA10977C.jpeg
    3132D28D-8DCE-4C33-B207-9091FA10977C.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Typically the symptoms you are describing means some sort of respiratory issue. As you said above it is scary when they show these type of symptoms and there literally are tons of different strains that it could be. Do the eyes appear to have "Bubbles" in them or just a discharge? Are you hearing an actual "rattling" sound when they breath or does it just sound labored? I've had a similar issue but mine only had the sneezing, bubbly eyes and head shaking.

Here is the link to a good site that covers lots of different diseases:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
there may be some helpful info here also maybe someone here has 1st hand knowledge
@nightowl223

it started with one chicken 5 days ago...now I have two more ans they are worse, over night! Two more not acting right. Puffy eye, gurgling breathing. I quarantined the first and administered Tylon200. That one is better now and I have two more in quarantine and their eyes are worse.
Will I lose my flock? I’m in Texas and it’s been raining for two days now, forecast says we will have 3-4 more days of rain

I'm sorry they are not doing well.

It looks like they have a respiratory disease. Do they have a rotten/bad odor to them?

Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza and ILT are fairly common respiratory illnesses.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

What dosage of Tylan200 are you giving?

For the eyes, you will need to clear the pus away for them to start healing. Flush with saline or sterile water and remove as much pus as you can. Apply an opthalmic ointment like Terramycin to the eyes a couple of times a day.

Try to keep them hydrated and eating the best you can. Treat only the ones that show symptoms of illness.

If you do happen to lose one, sending the body for testing/necropsy to your state diagnostic lab will give you information as to which illness you are dealing with. Respiratory illness makes flocks carriers for life, so you will want to consider what your future goals are.

If you potentially have coryza in your flock you definitely need to get a real diagnosis because in that case ultimately you may be forced to destroy your entire flock. Very infectious. Your flock will always have it. It can continue to rear up at anytime. You shoukd never sell another chicken and any new chickens you bring in will potentially get it. Even if a chicken seems healthy it is still carrying it and can manifest symptoms anytime it gets stressed. It’ll be a problem you have forever. Anytime any chicken gets sick from now on, even if it isn’t coryza, you’ll wonder if it is. If you have coryza best to cull the entire flock. Clean everything really well or replace it. And wait a certain amount of time before getting new chickens so any bacteria in the ground dies first. Then only get chicks from now on and no more bringing in adult birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom