Eyes sealed closed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jakmallex, Jun 20, 2008.

1. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    What would make a chick have eyes that get crusted over? Yesterday I noticed one of my gray chicks had one eye that was crusted closed. I could get it open, but clear discharge came out. This morning both eyes were crusted closed. I rinsed both with a sterile saline solution and they opened slightly, and I put some eye lube on there. My silkie that had this issue had feathers that were growing into his eye that irritated it, this chick does not appear to have that issue. Should I get some Terramycin for this chick, or will the saline flushes and eye lube be enough?

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Wrap something around the chick, like an old towel to stop the struggle. Have ready, a bowl of warm water, and some cotton wool pads and gently bathe the eye from left to right (not up or down), use a clean pad after a couple of wipes, 6 should be enough.
    Dothis about every couple of days, about three times. Her eye should be fine after that.
    I think the crusting is a result of internal issues.. but again, I do not know how to advise you on this. Put up another posting, there are some really helpful senior members who know thier stuff!

3. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    Thanks for the advice. The chick is just 2 days old so it doesn't put up a struggle. Its eyes look almost totally normal since the first cleaning I did this morning. The one that was crusted yesterday is still not as open as the other one, but I think some of the other chicks probably pecked it. I'll keep that chick separated for the next few days while I take care of its eye and hopefully it will be ok.

4. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I had a chick like that I just used a warm face cloth to clean it every time it got "goopy" took about a week then she was fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by