Oct 14, 2021
One of my hens has had raspy breathing, a little bit of gasping, and runny manure lately. She was sitting on the lowest roost all day except when she went to eat and drink and then roosted up high at night where she usually did.

Today she couldn't fly off the roost and I had to bring her to the ground myself because her eyes are suddenly sealed shut. It looks like they're a bit goopy. I noticed her face is very pale as well, almost white, and she still has raspy breathing. I read up on it and I can't tell whether she might have something called MG or Coryza. I'm leaning towards MG.

I'm planning on separating her into a crate but I have no idea how to treat her. We have no chicken vets near the area and wouldn't have the money to utilize one anyway, though I really wish we could. Is it too late to treat her? What should I do?

Do you see any bubbles in either eye? Is there a bad or or not? I would flush her her eye with saline or eye wash, and dry them off. Then apply a dab of either Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. If you have or can get Tylan 50 injectable, you can give 0.25 ml per pound 3 times a day for 5 days.

Do you see any bubbles in either eye? Is there a bad or or not? I would flush her her eye with saline or eye wash, and dry them off. Then apply a dab of either Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. If you have or can get Tylan 50 injectable, you can give 0.25 ml per pound 3 times a day for 5 days.
I didn't see bubbles, just whitish goop.

You can get Terramycin eye ointment in some feed stores by asking a clerk. Tylan 50 injectable and syringes with needles are also found there. Most give it orally to chickens very slowly.

Back
Top Bottom